1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think it would be bad to come out to my dad in one of these ridiculous ways?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Foxywolf, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Foxywolf

Well I've come out to my whole family.... except my dad. Now I really am not sure how my dad will react. A part of me tells me that he already knows, but I am really not sure. I am pretty sure he is not homophobic because:
    1. He ordered the movie The Kids are Alright on netflix and told us all to watch it
    2. He always laughs about the morman commercials and says that the mormans are trying to get their popularity up after advocating for the anti gay law (prop 8) in California
    3. When DADT was repealed, he said something like, yea this is different from when they let women fight in the war because gay people already were in the army just no one knew they were gay.
    4. I don't think I have ever heard him say anything homophobic.
    5. He had two gay uncles (they were partners)
    So I think he will react fairly well (I am at least confident that he is not homophobic).
    But the thing is, my dad is not the kind of person that has heart to heart deep conversations. He is generally a very awkward person to begin with.
    So i am at a loss on how to come out to him.
    Would it be bad to use one of the really silly ways to come out to him? Like spell out I'm gay on a pizza with olives, or save up your letters in scrabble untill you can spell out I am gay. Or even mentioning it nonchelantly at the dinner table, 'dad could you pass the salt to your gay daughter?' Or doing the knock knock joke, 'Knock knock. Who's there? Your daughter! Your daughter who? Is GAY!
    Here is where I am getting my ideas from:
    LGBT Laughs

2. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

Re: Do you think it would be bad to come out to my dad in one of these ridiculous way

hmm not bad it sounds like a pretty good way to tell him if hes not one for heart to hearts...like since hes not homophobic you could just tell him and laugh the rest of it away with one of these jokes, ya know? The best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Do you think it would be bad to come out to my dad in one of these ridiculous way

Is he's cool with gay people but not big on heart to hearts then I would just wait until your talking about something totally boring and everyday (chores, shopping lists, etc) and then just when your about to go your separate ways slip in 'by the way Dad, you know I'm gay, right?'
    That way your not making a big deal outta it; if he wants to talk about it and have a big discussion with you he can, if he wants to be alone to process it you can leave, if he doesn't care it's out of the way.

4. Sadepeura

No, I don't think it would be bad! Your dad sounds cool and only you know how much humour he can take. But if you think he could cope with such a joke, I don't see why you shouldn't go with it. If it fits the situation, then there isn't any reason why it shouldn't work.

And if he wants to talk about it with you, then you should give him a chance afterwards, no matter how you tell him.

Good luck. :slight_smile: