1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got the ball rolling.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by theWorldisYours, Jun 26, 2011.

1. theWorldisYours

So I finally came out to my best friend last night! I didn't do it face to face as I wanted to, but hey I did it anyway. After I chickened out I got right on my computer and wrote him a note on facebook. This is the note, and his response.

Hey man, it's ya boy chris. Let me preface this message by letting you know I'm still reasonably drunk. This is probably why I have the courage to do actually get this over with. Let me also say that at the moment, this info is just between you and me, (I'll tell everyone else when I'm comfortable). I'm telling you first because I can confidently say that you are my best friend, and I trust that this will not change things between us. But anyway let's get to the point, I'm gay. I wanted to tell you this in the car while you were driving me home tonight but I couldn't bring myself to do it. But yeah, I actually like doods haha. Now that that's out there let me say a few things about it.

I'm not telling you this because I like you. You are my friend. I trust you, and you have been there for me when I have needed it. I'm hoping that you can continue to be there now.

I have been gay for longer than you probably know. I'm just admitting it now, and it has only been a few months since I have come to terms with it myself. I have finally accepted the fact that I'm gay, I was born this way, and there is nothing I can do about it. Trust me when I say, if I could I would be straight. I have tried being straight (Allie), that didn't really work out. I want to grow up and have a family, be accepted by society, and have a normal life. I'm only now coming to terms with the reality that I can't, and that was very hard for me to accept.

Let me also say that this isn't really that big of a deal. Like I said I've been gay for longer than you probably know. Just because I'm admitting it to you now doesn't mean that I'm going to start wearing dresses and talking with a lisp. I'm still the same person, I'm just accepting myself for who I am.

I trust that you won't have a problem with it, but I wanted to start this process by telling you first because you are the person I trust, and the person I know I can rely on for support. Like I said in the beginning of this message, I'm not ready to come out to everyone, and I have a very specific order of people I want to come out to next. Please let me come out at my own pace. You've been a great friend, and I'm confident we'll continue to be friends.

Your buddy Chris,

p.s. let me know when you have read this. I know this is probably extremely awkward, but it doesn't have to be. we can talk about this when you want to, and don't let this change the way you see me.

response:
    By the way, I'm smiling and tearing because I can't even believe you trust me with this as one of the first people you tell.
    I really want to be here for you in whatever you need.
    I support you fully in this.
    orry, I keep forgetting to say shit.
    I'm really proud of you. This must be a really difficult thing and you are a much stronger man than I am for this amount of self-acceptance. I could not go and do such a bold thing.
    Also, I hope I've never said or done anything offensive. I'm not going to take back anything now because I hate when people preface anti-semitic remarks with "are there any Jews here?" I just hope that I've never done anything to make you feel bad or uncomfortable. I apologize if I have. I will not anymore.

I'm lucky to have such a good friend!

one down, everyone else to go.

2. Matt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sounds like u got a good friend there
    Wish had 1 to talk about my sexuality with :/

3. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good for you, and glad that he understands and will support you. Sounds like a good friend.

4. ArcaneVerse

Grats. You really do have an awesome friend there, definitely one to keep around for awhile. =D. Hope all the rest go as smoothly, though if they don't at least you now have some good support to fall back on.

5. don29002

You have a good friend.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats on taking the plunge! You also seem to have an amazing friend by your side so good for you :slight_smile: It only gets easier from here on so keep at it :slight_smile:

7. HantsBen

What a fantastic response you got. That is a great example of a true friend.