1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Daddy Dearest

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Anne Nonymous, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Anne Nonymous

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, my GF and I decided to come out to my Dad together. I knew I'd need a little moral support. My father's neither religious nor homophobic per se. He is, however, more than a little sexist. He's made it clear to me many times that the only acceptable future he sees for me involves being married to a man and having lots of kids. Yes, this was going to be a fun little conversation :eusa_danc

My girlfriend and I slinked into the living room, where my father was watching television, and positioned ourselves one to each side of him on the sofa. We made a little small talk and then steered the conversation to the passing of the gay marriage bill. We exchanged a few anti-american barbs about how far the "land of the free" has to go yet before being considered even "semi-free" :grin: Then, as we had planned, my sweetie casually remarks: "at least now I could become a citizen ... when we get married." To which I replied, with righteous truth, "you know I have zero intention of living in this country after I finish college. We should get married on a beach in Friesland!"

We stop talking. My father's brow wrinkles. Then he says to me, "what, are you two bicurious all of a sudden?" To which I reply "ne, tati, jsme lesby." Mission accomplished! I told in, in Czech, that we were lesbians. His response: "Anne, you've been with boys, haven't you? That means you can't be gay." He crosses his arms and adds: "Do what you're going to do, but I don't need to hear about it."

Thus ended my coming out to Dad. Like most of my interactions with him, it was pretty brief and not very warm. But still kinda-sorta, in-a-way supportive, I guess :confused:

2. Just Passing

Hi Anne Nonymous (great username by the way) and welcome to Empty Closets. :slight_smile:

From what I can tell that's a great coming out for the most part, I think your Daddy Dearest is just ignorant (though not intentionally or malicious) about homosexuality on his own daughter or just doesn't see it as his business.

Either way, congratulations, now go off to that beach and get married. :slight_smile: