1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on Facebook... in a big way

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by SecretColor, Jun 28, 2011.

1. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    Tonight's the night. Tonight, I'm going to write a note on Facebook telling everyone that in addition to being all the things they know me for, I'm gay. I know I want to talk about the personal growth I've went through because of it, and the people that helped me, but I'm not sure what else to say. First, I really want to say something like, "if you're going through a similar struggle or know someone who is, the best thing I can say is life becomes so much better, it'd be ridiculous if it wasn't so amazing." The thing is, I'm pretty sure one of my friends is closeted (though I don't want to push the issue on Facebook) and I definitely want to take this opportunity to maybe ease them a little bit towards opening the closet door- this person is one of those people that defied all my expectations in the most wonderful way when I came out; they then told me some things that were eerily similar to what I felt during my time in my mothbally closet (since now that I think about it, I've been kind of questioning since 7th grade and I'm going to be a junior in college and just came out to person #1 3 months ago).

Anyway, wish me luck!

2. ballin1718

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    good luck dude!!

3. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck.

4. SecretColor

I did it, I did it; I hit 'publish!'

Following is what I wrote (be warned, it's kinda long-- 'that's what he said' *rimshot*):

Ok so some of you I've known for a couple of months, some for a couple of years, some all my life. In that time, you've gotten to know me to various degrees. What I'm pretty sure the vast majority of y'all don't know is that I'm gay. I'm gay; I'm a simmering Kinsey 6 and proud of it. The thing is, 3 months ago, I wouldn't even think to write this on such a public (relatively) forum; I was out to myself, but wasn't ready to be out to everyone else yet. Well, now I am, obviously; I even wear a pride bracelet with sterling silver and Swarovski rainbow crystals!

Part of all this was reconciling the fact that I don't really fit the gay stereotype; I hate Sex and the City (and shopping), I'm ambivalent at best towards Glee, plus other things. Regardless, I am who I am. Something I learned from all of this is that any event, major or minor, has the capacity to completely change your life. Something else I learned is that true friends are friends who stick by you no matter what, who value your friendship as much as you do.

I just have one last thing I have to say: if you or anyone you know is having difficulty regarding questioning their sexuality, or is no longer questioning but don't have anyone to tell what they've discovered about themselves, first, :hug. Then, take to heart a previous status update of mine: "those who mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter." the people who were really a part of your life before (close friends, family, etc.) will still want to be, and will still love you, maybe even more so. Sexuality is only a small part of the wonderfully person that is you-an important part, sure but just a part. You're always going to be the same, regardless of whether you're straight, gay, bisexual, transgender, asexual, queer, pansexual, etc. To be perfectly clear, the only person that you should care about when dealing with such a revelation isn't a parent, a friend, a mentor, or in some cases a spouse; it's YOU. The singularly best thing you can do for you is to be true to yourself. Once you look yourself in the mirror and say, for the first time, "I am --" everything, and I mean everything, will seriously get so much better, and I know this from the best kind of personal experience.

Quoting a recently released song by an artist I'm sure you all know (and love, but maybe not):

"there's nothing wrong with lovin' who you are...God makes no mistakes...[you were] born this way."

5. Aramil_Galadonel

Congratulations Twisty! :grin:
    So happy for ya!

6. SecretColor

Thanks! My closet door's been open for a while now, but this poured kerosene on it and lit a match. (!)

7. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    that looks great! I'm sure it'll get a good response :slight_smile:

8. Foxywolf

Good job! I know someone who did this and they got like a million good responses.

9. Just Passing

This is awesome dude, congratulations and you've opened a lot of possibilities not only for yourself, but others in the same situation like you said. :slight_smile:

10. ElenoftheWays

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First of all, congratulations!!!! Your note was awesome. I am curious, what were the reactions like on facebook? I have wanted to start telling people and I can't decide if facebook is the best way or not. Now that you have done it, would you suggest the facebook route? I just graduated high school a week ago and I feel ready to tell people now..

11. SecretColor

I suppose I should give an update. Everyone who's commented about my note has said the most amazing things. I figured things would go that way, but having it actually happen was still a wonderful feeling. I only haven't heard from 1 person about it, but he's been really busy at work for the past week or so, plus I came out to him a while before anyway.

12. steel03

Hey, congratulations! Looks like two of us came out on Facebook yesterday! :grin:

13. SecretColor

Congrats! Unfortunately, time for another update. I was parentally forced to remove the note - believe me, I HATED doing it - from my Facebook. I would have left it up but I'm home for the summer and I can't shell out $40/month or w/e we pay for internet since I just got a new laptop and have to pay that off in 1 yr; yes, if I didn't remove it, the internet would've been d/c'd and since I need it for school and such... argh! :bang:

Anyway, Elen, to answer your question, I would only recommend the Facebook approach if none of your family are Facebook friends with you.

I'm sure I'll get a (*hug*) from someone, so thanks in advance. Only 7 weeks until school- never thought I'd say that...

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats on making such a bold move! that's really something :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity, who made you take it off? Sucks that it happened, but at least you know you had the courage to do it in the first place :slight_smile:

15. Raeil

(in response to your most recent update)That's highly interesting. Parents tend to value their child's education above all other things, so I'm rather surprised you were forced to remove a FB note or they would completely destroy your education. Quick question: Did you change your "Interested in" to "Men?" I wonder if they noticed... Still, not much you can do, except wait until you get back to school.

(OT) Congrats!!! It takes quite a lot to actually hit that publish button, but if that was the last major coming out barrier then that had to have felt great! :slight_smile: Good luck in school next semester! It'll be my first semester as an openly gay person as well, so we'll be ourselves together!

I intend to follow your lead soon-ish. I still have two more friends to tell in person and then my Dad and extended family which are FB friends. If necessary, I'm defriending the extended family to get this posted before August (if immediate family wants to keep it to themselves for a while). BTW, don't worry about your note being long. I'm in the process of prepping my note, and it's... verbose. If you'd like to read it (well, the rough draft which has been edited twice since its posting) it's here.

16. Sadepeura

Congratulations for posting the note! I'm sure many people had time to see it before you were forced to remove it.

But oh why oh why did your parents to ask you take it off? Parents can be funny though and think that you are losing your reputation or something like that by saying something like that. My mum told me not to go to Pride Festival because I would lose my reputation. "What reputation?" I wanted to ask. She probably thought that after that everyone would think that I'm gay and that because of that I would never get a boyfriend. The sad thing is that I am gay and don't want a boyfriend. But it was a bit too much for my mum to understand, so I just let it be and went to the Pride Festival.

Hang in there! Believe me, I know how hard it is to be at home for the summer. Try to get out of the house as much as possible and do amazing things. :slight_smile:

17. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats for posting your message.

18. steel03

Hey, read this! You can hide it from your parents! Repost it, but before you hit Publish, click the drop-down menu next to Privacy and choose "Custom edit." Then you can enter the names of anyone you don't want to see it. If you want to honor your parents wishes, that's fine, but it seems like there's not really a good reason for you to have to take it down if you don't want to.

19. Katelynn

Congratulations! I really want to do something like that, but I don't think I'm really very ready yet. I've even considered creating a seperate profile for myself where I can actually be me, but I don't really have any good pics of myself as a girl right now (for some reason, I keep taking poorly lighted photos & it would also really help if someone could hold the camera), plus it's like a huge step to even put myself out that way & what if someone I know randomly friends me or just sees it...(**sighs**) it's been stressful. I think for now I'm going to wait tho...

20. 4alex6

Congratulations! I also want to come out on Facebook and this is actually helping me decide how I should do it! Thanks! :slight_smile: