1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First step out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Party Monster, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Party Monster

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all I should say I’m a terrible writer so forgive me while I share my story of when I came out to my sister.

So like most guys that are gay. ( I don’t believe in saying gay guys, I’m a lot more than just gay) I went through my high school as that "straight" guy who seems to be spend more time in the locker room than most... I knew I was gay and have accepted it as my present and future since the age of 12. I just never knew how to tell anyone. The hardest part about being a closet gay for me was falling for my friends. Happened way too much.

In the start of the school year that just went by my grade 12 year. I had enough. i wanted to be true to who i was. I went and made a whole bunch of new friends and try to get a different look on life. I made it the happiest year of my life but still not able to tell anyone I was gay in till last month. This is where my story begins.

It was 3am. I had skipped my 3rd day of school in a row and was ignoring my phone. I have spent my time moping around the house and watching nonstop One Tree Hill. Also was crying nonstop. (If my guy friends EVER found out about this, they wouldn’t not even have anything to say but have their mouths wide open. They have never seen my cry once.) I heard my sister was still awake, and I got the thought of telling her. We have been best friends over the past couple years. I got up and walked to my door. Than froze. "What am I doing?!? You know what this means" is what I thought while I stared at my door for 10 min. with many battles with myself I opened the door. Stepped one foot out, Froze again. The weight of the whole world was on my chest as I started to slightly cry, staring at her door. Tried to gather myself with some calm deep breaths and toke another step. Lost it again and had to shove my fist in my mouth to stop making any sounds. This is when her boyfriend called. I felt relieved I had more time. But now I was getting bad anxiety. Taking deep breaths and trying to convince myself I can do this! She hung up and was thinking now or never so I legit through myself at her door at full speed so I couldn’t stop myself. When inside she turned and stared at me while I froze. Just stood there with a shocked look on my face. (I really didn’t think I could do it....) I sat on her bed still not saying a word and this is when she released something was up so she sat down next to me asking me what’s wrong. I wasn’t able to speak, releasing how hard this is going to be I started to cry. When I told her she was extremely shocked. Said she had never guessed it or thought of it. This made me happy. I like that I’m ably to blend with the stereotypical straight guy. She was of course ok with it and told me I was being stupid for crying which I knew. But since then I have tried telling my friends but every time I do the really cute guy I’m crushing on is there. But I’m like 80/90% sure he’s also gay. I am planning on telling my friends tomorrow at breakfast. Also planning on telling that guy at danger grad tomorrow night. So ill update with that!

2. Fiddledeedee

Well done on coming out to your sister. Some people might have chickened out and fled, but you didn't. It may well be much easier now to come out to others; my brother was the first person I came out to, in a toned-down version of your story, and even though he and I aren't exactly close I found it was easier to come out to others knowing that he knew.

Well done.

3. Sadepeura

Congratulations for coming out! I'm so happy that you're finally sick of your closet. :slight_smile: This is where it all begins! I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes when you tell your friends.

4. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats for taking the first step.

5. James

Congratulations on taking the first step, buddy.

6. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

Congrats!!

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! Hopefully someday I will have the guts to tell somebody...

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats! :slight_smile: Now that you will start to get a support system it only gets easier from here on! :slight_smile:

9. thomasJ722

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whooo hoooo!!!!! Enjoy these dancing bananas!!!
    (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

10. Party Monster

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aha sorry to disapoint everyone but i got cold footed. wasnt ably to do it. Everyone was just having so much fun and there was a lot of peopel there.

11. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Don't worry, you have plenty of time. You'll do it when you are ready! Congrats on coming out to your sister. That is HUGE! It's an important first step and it'll get easier from now on :slight_smile:

12. 4alex6

Congratulations! It takes of lot of bravery to come out to one of your family members, and now it should be a lot easier for you to come out to your friends. Good luck! :slight_smile:

13. ByoNexus

Congratz. Dont worry about not telling your friends yet. You'll get around to it when you get around to it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Its not a race so don't be hard on yourself. You'll tell them when you feel like it and not one moment earlier :slight_smile:

15. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations on talking to your sister :slight_smile: She'll be a great support to you if you need it. Yea, it wasn't the right time at the party. It sounds like you'd be more comfortable talking to your friends one at a time or in a smaller group. Have a great summer!