1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out experience

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ByoNexus, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ByoNexus

The first person I told was my mother. Im a very shy/anxious person, so I couldn't walk over and tell her. I was extremely nervous and decided to use the written letter approach. So I wrote up a Letter, and after a few days gathered up the courage to give it to her. We sat across from each other as she read it, (I watched her reaction carefully, cause I was terrified she'd freak out). After she read it, she looked up, smiled and said, "Your My Son! It doesnt matter, so long as your happy."

That was the most unexpected and best response I could have hoped for, and we talked about it after that, it was awesome.

Over the next week, I came out to my close circle of friends, a few of which I thought were Homophobic. Surprisingly, they all took it rather well, (although my brother was a little shocked, and still doesnt understand). Ive yet to come out to my friends at work though. I find one on one conversations where I tell ppl the easiest, so I can see their reaction with social pressure from others.

2. Just Passing

Well done dude, glad it's gone well for you. :slight_smile:

I did a similar approach with my own mum just recently, typing out a letter with all my feelings down and she took it rather well too, with similar words to your own mother. Good luck to you in the future. :slight_smile:

3. ByoNexus

Derp,

"so I can see their reaction with social pressure from others"

I meant WITHOUT social pressure from others :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: oops.
    \
    And Thanks Just Passing, and Good luck to you as well.

4. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad to hear it went well with your mom.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

You have to love when you get a really awesome unexpected reaction from someone who you love. Best feeling in the world. Congrats! :slight_smile:

6. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

:eusa_clap

7. ByoNexus

I know right! Seriously boosted my confidence a lot. I almost cant wait to tell my family!

8. ByoNexus

Haha! I can update this slightly :slight_smile:

On Friday, I was getting a little antsy, cause I felt my drive to Come Out was growing stagnant, so I gathered my courage and sent my 2 closest cousins messages over FB.

Here's a slightly edited version of the message (removed names, etc):

"Hi Cousin, how's it going?

There's something I want to tell you. The original plan was to wait for the next family thing, but Ive decided to say this over FB now, since I find that seems like Its too long a wait, (I might also lose my nerve with everyone there at once)

The thing is Im Gay. Personally, Ive known for quite a few years, but Ive been to shy/nervous to admit it to anyone. A Few weeks ago, I was extremely depressed (which happened more often then I'd care to admit), and i finally decided that enough was enough. I've already told my Mom & Brother, as well as my closest friends, and their reactions have helped alot. Im getting more comfortable talking about it :slight_smile:

Anyways, If you'd like to ask me about this, feel free to give me a call, or send me a message on FB. For now though, I'd like it if you didnt tell others in the family. I'd rather tell them myself first. Im also going to send this message to your sister, so if you two talk, please make sure the other has seen this message before discussing it.

I hope this doesnt change anything. I've read a few bad stories about ppl coming out and would appreciate a response sometime this weekend (If possible)."

I later found out that they had gone to toronto for one of my cousins best friend's wedding, so they didnt get back to me until today.

Here's there response:

"Hey, sorry i didn't call you i was away and havn't checked my facebook in days, bottom line if your happy i am happy, i will love you forever and always your my family (my sister feels the same way and she loves you too) and we are going to call you as soon as our mom is off the phone xoxo"

Just got off the phone after talking for like an hour. They're so awesome! This has seriously had a positive effect on my confidence.

I'd like to thank the ppl on EC. After reading various posts here, I've been inspired. So, yeah, Thanks Alot!

9. Weatherguy101

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats on coming out to your cousins! It must feel really great.
    Good luck with the rest of your coming out process.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's great! Really glad they reacted well :slight_smile: Seems like slowly you will be out to your whole family sooner than you think. Congrats! :slight_smile:

11. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. Good luck.

12. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

Congratulations on Coming out.:slight_smile:
    Good luck on the future.
    Also, you have an amazing mom.
    And friends, and siblings too.=P

13. ByoNexus

Thanks All! I'll probably end up updating this post after every step of the way :slight_smile: