1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stepping out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by 10super4, Jul 3, 2011.

1. 10super4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So a few weeks ago, I finally came to a point where I accepted that I'm gay. At 27, I figured it was time to be honest with myself and start living transparently; free of guilt, shame, and hiding. So it's all very exciting and freeing.

So much energy has been spent over the years trying to feel and be "normal." It's just so much pressure off my back- I can honestly say that I feel peace and contentment for the first time in my life.

I've started sharing with some of my close friends and everyone has been very supportive. Even the ex-girlfriend (who's getting married in a couple weeks!) is okay with it.

I sent letters to my closest friends and have heard back from most of them, though some I worry about.

I also am not sure how to tell my family. I don't think anyone will be particularly surprised, nor do I have much family to tell, but still. I just want to get it out of the way, but, at least for me, to do so on facebook would hurt a lot of people's feelings that I didn't tell them in person first.

We'll see. For now, it's enough to say that I'm gay. I have no shame, fear, or qualms about that. It's by no means the most important part of me, but the last piece to be an honest and integrous man.

2. Just Passing

I felt the same way as you as I slowly came out to people, it was basically stating that no matter what, you can tell people and still feel comfortable about yourself, if not better and enlightened.

Keep it up. :slight_smile:

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Words of wisdom. Glad that you are feeling much better and working towards getting your life where you want it to be :slight_smile:

4. 10super4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys, I also decided to just get on with it and tell my family and mentor. Here's what I said: