1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

out to first unsafe person

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by biangel, Jul 4, 2011.

1. biangel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I finally told a friend who wasn't necessarily safe that I was bi. I couldn't tell if he was supportive of lgbt or if he was homophobic like the majority of the people from my background. I sent him a message while I was drunk, which probably wasn't the best idea. But I feel pretty good at taking that first real risk of being rejected. I'm still not sure whether he is okay with it or not, but at least he hasn't cut me out completely. We're having a slow email conversation about it. It's tortuous waiting for his replies. I keep reminding myself to give him time like I needed time initially. I really want this "first" to turn out ok. It's one thing to tell someone who isn't likely to reject you. It's another to come out to someone who is unclear. I'm afraid if it turns out badly, I may be too scared to try it again.

2. Gordon

I'm sure it'll go well.

Besides, bisexuals have it easy.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Lets not go there :slight_smile:

----

Its great that you are taking the risk to tell him and it sounds like he can't be reacting too badly since he has been replying to the email. Are you able to ask him to talk face to face? That way you can get the whole conversation over with.

I think he will be okay with it, most people are, but even if he isn't don't let it get you down. You have wonderful people backing you up and supporting you, which means that if he doesn't accept you then its his loss and not yours. Sometimes we have to learn that not everyone is going to like us. Not just because of the sexuality thing, but because of many other reasons. The only important thing is to like yourself :slight_smile:

Best of luck and keep us updated :slight_smile:

4. Giorria

Giorria Guest

Try not to worry too much, this person is replying to your emails so it seems like he may be trying to find out more about you and you're sexuality. You're managing to hold a conversation through email with him despite you're uncertainty of his views. It shows you're just that little bit stronger then you think, so stop worrying about what may or may not happen. :slight_smile:

I wouldn't say its easier for bisexuals, they can have it worse due to both gay and straight people judging them. It doesn't help them much that some gay people use the term bisexual as a stepping stone to coming out as gay, I did that and wish I had just done it all properly the first time. I'm not going to argue on that one though.

5. Hemera

^ we were told not to got there. So basically to ignore that.

It's really good that you took that risk, it may have not been the best thing to do while drunk but the point is you did. It may be hard for him to accept, but the fact that he is replying show that he is trying to work through it and find out more.
    Keep us updated.

6. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

Well, it's good that you're talking about it with him. Just take it slow, and be calm. I hope it goes well! :slight_smile:

7. biangel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I think the worst of it's over. We both come from strong religious backgrounds, but I think that he's working really hard to get past that to save the friendship. It's encouraging at least, and I think the whole process has brought me one step closer to being able to tell more people.

As for those saying not to go into the subject of Bi's having it easier, why not? I'm not gonna lie that the statement was hurtful. I think, for the sake of myself and other bi's, it would be good to discuss it. Here's how I feel--invisible. I don't quite fit in with the straight world. But I'm not 100% lesbian either, so I feel out of place seeking comfort in the lgbt world, even thought the b is in there for me.

To make things worse, I'm currently in a relationship with a guy (which makes me feel even more awkward in the lgbt community). I realized I was bi in this relationship, but I don't want to end it either. For lesbians and gays, if you're with someone of the opposite sex when you finally come out, it usually means that's the end of it. There's not really the question of whether you want to or should stay with that person because usually heterosexual relationships were more of a cover or denial mechanism before accepting sexuality. For me, I have to re-examine my entire relationship, where it's going, whether it will survive. If anyone thinks that is easy for either me or my partner, it's not. We have to both adjust to myself and try to keep the relationship healthy.

Bisexuals are practically non-existent in literature and media. Any movies that have bisexuals feature them as sex-crazed homewreckers. I have yet to find a book with a bisexual character. I have yet to find a self-help book that doesn't mention bisexuality as an afterthought when talking about gays and lesbians. People who find out I'm bisexual don't even know what it means. Some think it means I have a penis and a vagina. At least by now most people have somewhat of an idea of what gay and lesbian means. Transgender is probably talked about as little as bisexuality, but it's so specific that there are still books directed to helping people specifically with that, and society is well-aware of what it means.

I'm not trying to downplay others' struggles. Each and every one of our journeys is hard--not easy. Just because, from where one person is standing, my circumstances look easier doesn't mean that they would be if he were in my shoes or that they seem that way to me. I feel like I'm stuck between two worlds, not quite meeting the qualifications for either one. This forum is the only place I come to express my fears, agonies, joys, or progresses with my bisexuality. To have it dismissed is very disheartening. And I'm sure other bisexuals would feel that way. We need to affirm each other, not shoot down.

Thank you to those that expressed disagreement with the statement. I also want to make clear that I'm not trying to attack or lash out. I don't think the statement was meant to be mean or dismissive. But it's important that we each take the time to understand the different struggles unique to our positions as lgbtqap (tried to get all the different ones I've seen on this site in there). I need the support of this site just as much as my gay and lesbian friends on here--just as much as anyone on here. It's not easier for me. It's just different, a different kind of confusion, a different kind of struggle, a different kind of coming out process--but still very hard.

8. Gordon

I'm sorry if I had offended you it was ment to be joke, sorry. I never wanted to be hurtful on anyone on any forum and I'm truly sorry that I had been to you.

9. biangel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :slight_smile: I appreciate your apology. No harm done. I didn't think you had intended to be hurtful, and I'm glad it was intended as a joke. Thanks for your support. (*hug*)