1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by illwakeupalone, Jul 9, 2011.

1. I've been home for a while now and my dad hasn't said anything about me coming out - until today. I went to the garage to smoke and he was watching the Real L Word and ended up saying, "I know you think you're a lesbian and all that, but I just don't get the butch thing. I know you aren't like that, but what is it about?" It wasn't exactly, "I want to meet your girlfriend and make her part of the family!" But it was some progress. I'm kinda excited, but I'm trying not to over analyze it.

2. Mister Gaga

Sounds like there's some amelioration, at least he is not angry or something, he seems to be on his way to acceptance, and hopefully, he will ask you to bring you girlfriend home soon enough :wink:

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that sounds positive too, like he's been thinking about you as a lesbian and getting comfortable with the new information. Did you talk about his question about the "butch thing"?

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Definitely some progress coming from him :slight_smile: Expect those kind of questions to keep going and always answer them with a smile and a positive attitude. At some point they will stop, but the fact that he is asking means he is trying to be supportive of you :slight_smile:

5. Jay

Jay

Well, that's great! He basically told you he doesn't want to be ignorant. :grin:!

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As the others have said, it seems like that your dad has started to come around to it. It is progress. As TheEdend mentioned, answer any questions or try to talk with him when he approaches you with a positive attitude. Parents (and friends) often take the cues from us.

7. Oh good :slight_smile:
    He's actively deciding to learn more about what it means for you to be gay. That is awesome and congrats :slight_smile:

8. Foxywolf

My mom says she doesn't understand the butch thing either.

9. I did talk to him about it and we had a great conversation about it. I'm not "butch" myself, but my girlfriend is and even though we haven't talked about my girlfriend yet, I think he knows about her. I'm excited and it's gotten me in such a positive mind frame. :slight_smile:

10. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    You should tell him it's hot :slight_smile: haha, this sounds like something my cousin said to me a while ago. It really does open the door to conversation. I hope he's willing to listen and talk about it more in the future :slight_smile:

11. So I remembered this thread and thought I'd update you all that my girlfriend is coming home with me for a whole month over this summer. :slight_smile: My parents are nervous but excited and they are even buying a queen sized air mattress so the two of us can take over the living room. :slight_smile: