1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I just came out to my friend...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Katelynn, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Katelynn

Hi, I just actually got off the phone with my friend Catherine & I originally had just called her to see about hanging out on the weekend & whatnot, but then I decided to take the plunge so to speak. I asked her if she would like to goto the Pride Festival an hour away from me, which she said that she was moving right now & wasn't sure if she could. I then took a really deep breath and told her the reason I wanted to go was because I had just come out here on EC as being transgendered and wanted to go. She was really quiet at first and then said she would see if she could go with me. I told her she was the first person that I was coming out to and she said that she was honoured that I chose her as the first person to come out to. As it turns out, she said she was a really good first choice as she had a degree in women's studies and another area that focused on gender studies, so she said she really understood what I must be going thru. I am still shaking and nervous as I'm typing this, but we made plans to meet her at her place on Wednesday to talk more. I feel really nervous and a little anxious, but also a little relieved as well. She even said she sort of suspected I was when we worked together but that she would never say anything because she believes that it would have not been her place to talk about such things before I had brought it up. Whew! I'm just really scared and happy right now! And I also want to say thank you sooo much to all my friends and everyone here on EC for helping me with everything and supporting me and helpping me find the courage to talk to Cat. I love you all sooo much!

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (!) (!!) (!) Congratulations

3. Hayley

Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome :slight_smile: It's great to be out to someone you know in your own life! First steps coming out but in time we'll both be women :slight_smile:

4. Katelynn

Thanks so much! I'm still shaking! I didn't want to do it over the phone but I was afraid I would have lost my nerve if I didn't tell her then...

5. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I'm so happy for you!
    Congratulations, Kiersten!!

Love love love you, too, dahling. *huge hug*

6. Sadepeura

Congratulations to coming out to her! :slight_smile: She sounds like a very good friend, I'm sure you two will have a good talk on Wednesday. This it how it starts...!

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! I'm glad that coming out to her went well. You can be yourself around another person and that helps a lot.

8. RaeofLite

That's awesome. It's great to know you have friends even after they find out about the real you eh?

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's amazing!! Congrats on taking the plunge and on having an awesome friend by your side! :slight_smile:

10. Katelynn

She did say that she suspected a little bit, but that she never would have said anything because she considers it none of her business until someone says something to her, which I thought was really cool of her too. I do kind of wish she had said something so I wouldn't have waited so long to finally admit the truth to myself...

I agree, it's totally awesome that she is awesome about it & that she wasn't freaked out, but she had come out to me as being openly bisexual at the end of last year, which gave me a little hope that she would understand if I came out to her. I'm so happy that I was right...

11. 4alex6

Congratulations on finding the courage to be able to talk to your friend about it! :slight_smile: (!)

12. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations ! That's wonderful that your friend is supportive :slight_smile:
    (*hug*) Cécile

13. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats!! :slight_smile: (*hug*)

14. Hot Pink

Congratulations, Kiersten! The first time you come out is always nerve-wracking, but it feels amazing after it's over--especially if the other person accepted you.

15. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Guest

Congrats Kiersten!(*hug*):thumbsup:

16. Hemera

Congratulations dear. It must've been so nerve wracking but at least she id going to talk to you about and listen to you.