1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Bassbolt, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Bassbolt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I told my mother that I'm a lesbian. She said it was very common for girls my age to have feelings for other girls, without actually being gay. Apparently, a lot more common than I thought. She told me that I should wait a while before deciding for sure. She says that if it turns out I am right, then she'd be okay with it. She knows that I've liked one lad before for a little while, but I don't anymore.

I'm okay with waiting longer, to make COMPLETELY sure that I am in fact a lesbian. When I told her, I was never so scared in my life. She said I could talk to her at any time about it, but said it was probably the best idea not to tell anyone else, in case I ended up embarrassing myself.

I can wait. It's probably best to. She said it was REALLY common. I think waiting longer might actually give me time to think and make completely sure...

... Or something. I felt much more sure about this before I told her. At least she's being... Somewhat supportive? She just doesn't want me hurting myself.

2. Katelynn

Congratulations! It really is a big step coming out to a parent (I know I'm definitely not ready to come out to mine yet), but I can totally understand why it would make sense to wait until you're sure. (*hug*) So happy for you that your mum understands & is supportive & everybody here will always be sooo supportive. If you ever want to talk, I'll be more than happy to listen too!

3. Bassbolt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, I really appreciate it (*hug*)

4. Katelynn

You're very welcome. I just came out for the first time to my friend, so I know how everything can feel. I've felt like a girl since I was 10, but haven't been able to honest with myself until the end of June. Plus, I've only ever been attracted emotionally or physically to other women, which really has me confused still to this day. I'm sort of going thru the same thing thrying to come to terms with my own sexuality on top of who I really am. It's hard and having people to talk to really helps!

(*hug*)

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Well, your mom is right in thinking that many people experiment during their teenage years, but most people know that it’s a one-time thing and don't really think much about it. If your feelings were strong enough that you even had the need to come out to your mom, then chances are that you are a lesbian :slight_smile:

Your mom's response is pretty common since a lot of people think that you "become" gay because you are confused and things like that so is natural that she trying to protect you, but just know that you don't need to be a certain age or wait a certain amount of time for you to be "sure" about your feelings.

Either way, you seem to have a pretty caring mom so it all should work out at the end. Go ahead and give your mom the time that she is asking for, but don't let it confused you. You are the one that knows how you truly feel and trust me when I tell you that while experimenting is common, the feeling of wanting to do it again is not.

Congrats on coming out to her! Its a great first step :slight_smile:

6. Bassbolt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. Sadepeura

Congratulations! I think it went well for you! And your mum is supportive and really cares about you. I think you should be able to talk about it with the people you really care about and trust but of course there is no rush to tell anyone else. The time will show whether you are a lesbian or bisexual (or whatever). It's of course also possible that your mum is in a sort of a denial, but the time will help to that too. The most important thing however is that she's willing to be there for you when you want to talk about it and has promised that how ever you will turn out she will be there to support you. :slight_smile:

My friend's parents just found out that I'm gay and I am a bit frightened because my homosexuality feels a lot more official now than it did before. So I really recommend to be completely sure before you tell everyone. (Don't get me wrong, I still feel as gay as I did before, it just feels more official now.)