1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ex-flatmate's parents' reaction

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Sadepeura, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Sadepeura

My flatmate told her parents. It all feels very official now. I mean these people are real adults - and they know! This makes me a bit nervous so I felt the need to come and tell you guys on EC about what happened.

I've written a little bit about this situation earlier in thread The Joke of My Life.

But anyway, my flatmate M graduated last week and has effectively now moved out. My other flatmate is staying and her girlfriend is moving in to replace M. This lesbian couple that I am about to live with are the last important people in this town that don't know that I'm gay. It's really quite twisted.

So M was talking about this situation with her parents and sister in the car on the way to her graduation. It went pretty much like this:

M: So I think [Sadepeura] should tell them that she's gay.
    Mum, Dad, Sister: WHAT??
    Mum: [Sadepeura] is gay?? I'm so glad we got you out of that flat!!
    M: Excuse me? She's not the one with a problem here!
    Mum: Oh, I didn't mean it like that!

But yeah, I'm not sure what exactly she meant with that and how much they like me now. I've spent numerous holidays with them and seen them quite a lot and they are all been very lovely and nice to me always. I hope it doesn't change now when they know.

2. Katelynn

First of all (*hug*) !!! This is a big thing in your life and really scary to I imagine! Second, sometimes people have a impulse reaction & say things that they might not necessarily say because they're just surprised. If these people have gotten to know you already & are already quite fond of you, I'm sure that they will just need a bit of time to adjust & realize you're the exact same person they've always known. I hope that everything works out for the best, I really do! (*hug*)

3. Eleanor Rigby

I am sorry the reaction of your ex-flatemate's parents wasn't really good (*hug*). Fortunatly, it seems that their daughter is great and hopefully, she'll be able to change their mind about it.
    Next time you'll see them, just keep being yourself and hopefully, they'll come around with this. If they don't, it's too bad, but fortunately you're not involved with these people on an everyday basis.

(*hug*) Cécile

4. Foxywolf

That is a big thing! I know, I felt so weird when I came out to my teacher too. It's just weird having adults know!

Yeah, I think everything will probably turn out fine. The older generation is often more ignorant and take a while longer to adjust to such news, but since they like you already they should learn to accept and understand you eventually. Their reaction was not too bad I guess. Parents tend to overreact to certain things, they probably said what they did because they thought that you would possibly "do things" with M just because you are gay. That's just the way some parents minds seem to work. They will probably come around with time, when they realize that every gay person is not going to jump on every member of the same sex. *Gosh why do some people think this, it just frustrates me so much!*

I hope everything turns out ok though!

5. Sadepeura

Thank you everyone for replying to this! It's great to know that you care. :slight_smile:

Kiersten, I hope your right and that it was just their first reaction but that they will soon realise that it doesn't actually change anything.

Cécile, their daughter is great and their family talk a lot together and are able to talk about everything, so I'm hoping that they can talk about this as well.

Foxywolf, I think you're right! And I'm sure my own parents would have not reacted even that well. :grin: And true, they may have probably just overreacted because they want to protect their daughter and will probably realise that she isn't actually in any danger once they think about it.

I just wish I could see them soon, because I feel that the longer it takes before I see them the more awkward it will be!

6. Foxywolf

Yeah waiting is the hard part. I'm sure that once they have had time to mull over this news things will be good. Maybe a bit awkward at first, but as long as you act the way you always do then they will probably do the same. :slight_smile: I find that when things are awkward then it is actually all in my mind.

7. Sadepeura

Foxywolf, I really hope your right! :slight_smile: I just wish I could see them soon. Or at least get an update from my friend if they mention anything before I get to see them.

How did your teacher act after you told him/her?