1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told my daughter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by stageone, Jul 23, 2011.

1. stageone

So after waiting and waiting for "the right time", I finally took a deep breath and told my daughter. I was bracing for her to hate me & lots of drama etc.. (I mean really, she's 13 and that's how every other conversation seems to go...) but she was ok. A bit offended that she wasn't the first person I told. She asked how I knew, and told me "You're still my mom & I don't hate gay people like daddy does" She even retracted her previous assertion that she would hate & never speak to me again if I left/divorced daddy.

I assured her that she is still top priority for both of us etc...
    So relieved that part is done.

2. Foxywolf

Congrats! That is a huge thing to do! I am glad your daughter is fine with it :slight_smile: Seems most of the younger generation is fine with it.

3. Katelynn

Congratulations! I'm so happy that your daughter was understanding & supportive for you!!! Younger people seem to have so much easier atime with these types of things nowadays, so hopefully the world will be a much more tolerant place in a genreation or two & we can all just be ourselves!

(*hug*) Again, congratulations!

4. Just Passing

It's hard coming out to a relative, let alone a child who had no idea about their parent being gay.

Congratulations and if you have support from her throughout, then that can only be a good thing. :slight_smile:

5. Cantthinkofone

Congrats! that can't have been easy but I'm glad it went well and that your daughter is supportive :grin:

6. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

(*hug*) yeah, us daughters can be pretty fabulous like that. :slight_smile: congratulations!

7. Mogget

Glad it went well for you. Good luck with getting out of your current marriage, which I imagine will be none-to-pleasant esp if your husband doesn't like gay people.

8. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations ! I'm happy for you :slight_smile:

9. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Wow, that had to be beyond hard to do. Congrats on going for it and really glad your daughter took it well! :slight_smile:

11. stageone

Thanks all :slight_smile:
    Turns out it hadn't really sunk in yet. She is blaming me a little more today. I'm sure she will have plenty of opportunities to throw it in my face, and just as many to get over it. All will be well.

12. KneeDragger

Congrats. Telling your daughter had to be tough. I know I dreaded telling mine. Overall my kids handled it well. One had an outburst a month or so ago and said I ruined her life. Turns out it wasn't because I was gay. It was because my wife and I separated and she didn't get to go on the vacation she wanted to go on. So you'll get blamed for something regardless.

13. s5m1

Congratulations! That was a really big step. Kids are amazingly resilient. There will likely be other conversations about it, but this one was probably the hardest.

If you have not already done so, take a look at the COLAGE website. It is an group for kids with LGBT parents. They have some good content on the website, including some good books for LGBT parents. COLAGE: People with a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, or Queer Parent