1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last one in my family: my dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by TheRoof, Jul 24, 2011.

1. TheRoof

I finally came out to my dad, who was the last one to not know I am gay.
    I told my sister and mom about 3 years ago, and they accept me fully.
    I have been waiting to come out to my dad for years and years because I didn't know how he was going to take the news, but today, we were eating dinner and watching news about gay marriage in NY, and he said that he didn't understand how two men or two women could get married.
    In the past, I wouldn't have said anything, but today, I felt the need to step up and tell him, and so I did.
    Long story short, he says that he cannot understand homosexuality, and will not accept my boy friend should I have one. However, he didn't take it in a hateful way either (hell, he took it better than my mom, who was hysterical when she found out) so I'm hopefully that he'll come around eventually.
    On the other hand, I feel liberated to finally come out to all my family. I thought I wouldn't see this day, but it has finally happened :slight_smile:

2. Shmoe

Congratulations!

3. Tristar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations! (!)

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome!
    I hope he becomes more accepting over time. :slight_smile:

5. KaotikPrincess

That's awesome and congrats to you! :slight_smile: In my perspective it is harder for men to accept that their son is gay than it is for women but I am sure he still loves you just the same and when he sees that you are happy with your boyfriend (when you get one) then I am sure everything will be excellent!