1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I out myself to my teacher?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by shootingstars, Jul 25, 2011.

1. shootingstars

I think I potentially outed myself to one of my former teachers but I'm not really sure. This is something I've been wondering about solely because I can't tell if she realized I'm gay or not. One day near the end of the school year I went to extra help, and afterwards we made small talk and she began to ask me about my college plans for the fall. She's a very friendly woman and I've had many conversations alone with her prior to this one. I told her where I'm going to college and she asked me if I knew who my roommate was. I said I didn't know and (out of sleep deprivation) mentioned how I thought my mom was crazy because she wanted me to live in a gender neutral dorm (a topic for another discussion). My teacher was completely perplexed and could not seem to fathom why my mom would want me to live in gender neutral housing, then after a few moments of grappling with this she told me that "it was okay," and that I "could explore regardless of which dorm I live in." Although I appreciated that her comment seemed nice and she remained professional, I couldn't get over the ambiguity of what she said to me. I have no idea what in the universe she meant by "explore," or if she realized I'm gay/my mom's not trying to marry me off at eighteen. I have a mix of male and female friends and may not be super feminine but typically pass for straight (yay stereotypes), so it's not like it's blatantly obvious to the general public that I like girls. She also seems to be fairly progressive, is quite young, is highly intelligent, and treated me exactly the same afterwards, so I can't tell what she meant by what she said from her behavior. Any ideas?

2. Well, it sounds like she might have a bit of an inkling that you're gay or she might think you're questioning your sexuality (that would be what you'd be exploring, I guess). The reality is, though, it's difficult to say what she meant because I don't know her...Sounds like she thinks you're questioning, figuring out who you are. That's my best guess.

3. KaotikPrincess

Maybe she does suspect you are gay but is one of those understanding people who may have gone through the same thing presently or earlier in life?

4. shootingstars

It could be...although I seriously doubt she's gay because she's married to a guy, but she could always be bi or something.

5. Or maybe she knows some LGBT people. Maybe she's just liberal minded in that way. Either way, now you know she's cool, I guess :slight_smile:

6. Sadepeura

Or maybe she meant that you can still meet guys even if you live in the female dorm? Just an idea.