1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My emptyclosets birthday

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by foofighter, Jul 26, 2011.

1. foofighter

Oh hai everyone! It's been a while since I've been on here. On my calendar, I've got today marked as my "emptyclosets birthday." One year ago was my first post here. You can see it here, where it was pretty obvious I was really confused.

One year later, my life is 1000x better. I am now out to my parents and sister, plus I have been dating an awesome guy for almost 8 months. We are so much in love; he makes my life so much more exciting an fulfilling.

I'm not looking for any sort of feedback from this post, please. I just thought it would be nice to say one more "thank you" to this community and provide a few pieces of advice for someone who is confused and closeted. I was once a big lurker on this section of empty closets, when I was constantly looking for direction and advice. Hopefully this can help someone, somehow:
    • College is awesome! I repeat, awesome! Take advantage of the opportunities to get your face out there! This last year was my freshman year at college. If I hadn't attended my college's gay coming out "help session," I wouldn't have met my boyfriend.
    • Not everyone is going to be right when you come to them for advice. For example, my friends thought it would be a really bad decision to come out to my parents via email. However, I knew deep down that that was the best way for me. And it was! Even my parents today admit that the email was the perfect way for me to tell them.
    • If you are feeling depressed, as I once was when I was closeted, please find a way to cope with the depression. For me, I focused on improving myself in different ways: exercising, eating healthier, reading more, and studying harder. Find something that makes you feel good about yourself. For me, working on improving myself made me feel better about myself and more confident to eventually come out.
    • One mistake I made when I was closeted was that I grew really distant from my parents. Please try not to make this mistake with yours. Your parents love you! Try not to hurt them like I did.

It gets better! Way better! (!)