1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to Tell My Sis Soon

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Noahroxursox, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Noahroxursox

So, I've been thinking about telling my 11 year old sister who is almost 12 sort of that I'm gay. The problem with this is that I don't really know how to tell her, or what to say.

Any advice?

P.S. I do know she is at least somewhat accepting because she watched one if the recent seasons of American Idol almost religiously, and one of the contestants was obviously gay, and she didn't have a problem with it.

But still, we have a huge love-hate relationship, one minute we'll be best friends, then the next, we'll be arguing so much our parents will have to separate us. I just don't know what to do! And also, my patents don't know yet, and I'm not quite ready to tell them yet.

2. I'd say if you REALLY feel like you need to come out to someone and she's your only option, then I guess go for it, only you can say whether it's a good idea or not.

But here's my two cents for what it's worth. IF (and I'm not saying this is is a given, just IF) there is any reason for you to believe she might get mad at you for something and tell your parents your secret to get back at you, do not come out to her. Sometimes younger siblings, especially as young as 11 don't really understand what it means to come out and how serious it can be to be outed when you aren't ready.

If you think she's mature enough to handle your secret, then go for it and good luck! If you think she might not be, you might want to wait until she's a bit older.

3. KaotikPrincess

Being 14 is hard, you still have time to come out to your family, but just as Thedreamwatch said, you don't want it to come out from your little sister out of rage, it would be better coming from you on your own time. I was 14 when I came out to my mom but that was because I didn't know what was going on and I needed answers and I knew I could come out to her for advice because we were so close. I hope you have a close friend or two who you can come out to for the time being or family member (aunt, uncle, cousin, etc.) who may understand and help you figure out a way to come out to the rest of your friends and family.

Not sure if your younger sister is mature enough to handle something like this but if you feel secure enough to tell her then by all means tell her, get it out, but otherwise I would suggest telling someone else more trustworthy :slight_smile:

4. Noahroxursox

Thanks both of you! I've already told most of my friends, so i more or less have an okay support system in place, and another piece of info is that my sis has never spilled one of my many secrets out of rage, so I think I'll be alright telling her, but I'm going to take your advice and wait a little while before I tell her

5. Mogget

I've moved this to Coming Out Stories.

6. Mercy

Mercy Guest

be proud of you your beautifull <3

7. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you want to come-out to your sister, than go for it. Remember, it you don't feel you are ready or want to come-out you don't have too. Good luck.

8. Noahroxursox

Just a quick update, both my sisters know now! Yay!!! I'm pretty sure they won't tell my parents, so I think I'm good on that front, but I'm not sure about other parents. I know some of my friends may have told their parents, who may or may not tell my parents. Hopefully, that won't happen until after I tell my parents myself, that way it won't matter who knows and who doesn't.