1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my mom didn't go that well.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Mark182, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We were just talking about stuff today and my mom told me that I could tell her anything, I had planned to give her a letter but when she said it I made myself just tell her. She just asked if I was being serious then she went quiet. She started telling me that ‘it’s normal when you’re a teenager to be curious and sometimes it’s even normal for them to think they like someone of the same sex but it’s only a phase’ I kept telling her that it wasn’t a phase and that I’m sure about it. She asked me who else I had told so I told her that my brother knew and she got really mad that I’d told him before her. She was really mad and was saying that I wasn’t gay because I don’t ‘act gay’ and she would of known I was gay. So I tried to explain to her that everyone isn’t like the stereotype. Eventually she calmed down a bit but started crying. She told me to just go to my room and we’d talk about it tomorrow so I’ve been sitting n my room for the last 3 hours and her crying has only gotten worse and I have no idea what to do.

Anybody have any suggestions as to how I can show her that It’s not a phase etc?

2. DoriaN

I'd be more concerned about her crying and why she feels sad in the first place, I think not only is she accepting what you feel but it's escalating even more so in her mind.

You have no need to prove anything, she's already being convinced, and I would say talk to her soon in a calm manner, if it gets heated at all back away.

3. Marlowe

Egads, I'm really sorry to hear this. I remember reading about how chill and supportive your brother was, so maybe try calling him and having him talk to your mom or at least get his advice. He would know your mom better than any of us. Mostly, it sounds like she was unprepared for the news. When you do talk to her mostly find out why she was crying. What she thinks this means for your future, and who your are. I also think it might be the case that you won't have to show her it is phase. If she really were convinced of this, I don't think she would not have had such an emotional reaction. I wish I could offer better advice, but really all I can say is that I suspect she will come around. As another ECer wrote: "We can simply trust and demand that those who owe us unconditional love to keep true to their responsibilities."

4. Hey, sorry it didn't go as well as you'd hoped. (*hug*)

But like the other posters have said, her crying is a sign that she realizes you're not kidding and you're not just going through some phase. She wouldn't be so upset if she really thought you were. Not that it makes it feel much better, I know...

The other thing you should know is that a lot of parents, upon finding out that their child is LGBT have to go through a process almost like grieving to come to accept their child. If she's upset right now, maybe that's the path she needs to take. It's not anything you did, it's just that parents often have an idea of how we're going to be and, especially with parents who don't know much about gay people, they grieve the loss of that image of their child's life the way they imagined it would be. If that's what's going on with her right now, she's gonna be okay, and you will too.

Talk to her if she asks, answer any questions calmly, perhaps print out some PFLAG information and leave it somewhere for her.

5. sjg545

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry to hear coming out to your mom didn't go that well. I am still trying to build up the courage to tell my parents :/. Anyways, I don't necessarily think you have to convince her that your sexuality is a phase. Obviously, as Marlowe said, she was shocked and surprised. I think your mom saying "it's just a phase" might just be your mom's own way of dealing with the situation. She'll come around and when you guys do sit down and have a conversation, just reassure her that you're still her son and you haven't changed. If my mom reacts like this, I think I would just go out and give her a big hug and let her know everything is going to be ok. Hope this helped a little. Good luck!

6. flymetothemoon

I'm sorry to hear things didn't go the way you hoped. Like someone else mentioned, though, many parents have to go through the stages of grieving when coming to accept the "death" of what they expected of their child. It doesn't mean you did anything wrong, just that she is beginning to accept that this isn't a phase but it will take time for her to fully accept that you are not exactly who she thought. She will come to realize that you are still you, and that she still loves you no matter what.

The stages of grieving and some of the things she did that show this is sort of what she is going through are:
    1) denial-she told you this was just a phase
    2) anger-she was mad you told your brother first
    3) bargaining-saying you don't act gay and she would have known if you were so you must not be
    4) depression- her crying
    5) acceptance- I think she will get here. Just calmly talk to her once she has calmed down a bit more, and I think she will come to understand.

7. s5m1

I am sorry it did not go as you hoped with your mom. Despite her initial reaction, remember that you have had some time to adjust to your being gay. She is just hearing the news. Give her some time. There is a very good book for parents of gay kids, called, “Now that You Know.” Amazon.com: Now That You Know: A Parents' Guide to Understanding Their Gay and Lesbian Children, Updated Edition (9780156006057): Betty Fairchild, Nancy Hayward: Books. Perhaps you can recommend it to her.

PFLAG also has some great pamphlets that you can download. PFLAG: Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays. After she has a little time to calm down, maybe also suggest she find a PFLAG chapter in your area and go to a meeting.

Hang in there and keep us updated.

8. theWorldisYours

Sorry to hear that,

The other EC'ers have given you some great advice already. Like thedreamwatch said, your mom is grieving the loss of her expectations for you. It takes time, and she'll probably come around.

I hope everything works out! I think you'll both be fine in the end

9. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the advice guys :slight_smile:
    I printed off some PFLAG last night and left it with her keys and they're not there now so i'm presuming she took them with her to work.
    Marlowe, thanks for suggesting that I ask my brother about it, I hadn't thought of that.He's away with my dad but if tonight doesn't go well I'll call him and see what he thinks.
    My best friend called me a few minutes ago and told me that my mom had been at his house for ages talking to his mom about me and that she was really upset but he couldn't hear what they were talking about. His older brother is gay and his mom is totally fine with it so I think it's a good thing that they were talking, I hope at least.

10. theWorldisYours

That's good to hear! I'm sure your friends mom will talk some sense into her. It sounds like your mom is on the right track.

11. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think your mom needs time for it to sink in. Perhaps your brother can be there to help support you and comfort her. That is good that your mom is trying to find out about it by talking to your friend's mom. Good luck and keep us posted.

12. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok so my mom and I hadn't talked until today. Like not just not talked about my sexuality like she was completely ignoring me even when I spoke to her about anything so I called my brother last night and told him what was going on. He's with my dad who still doesn't know so he couldn't really talk to me that much but he sent my mom a text last night, i'm not really sure what it said but this morning my mom started talking to me, just asking me the expected questions like 'how long have you been feeling like this'. It was all going fine but she started getting really mad at me over nothing and saying that I was messing up my life etc. Then she just walked out of the house and hasn't come back yet.
    I was really upset so I called my brother again and he still couldn't talk for very long but he and my dad will be back tomorrow morning and he said that he'd do his best to get my mom away from my dad to talk to her.

I'm just thinking about it constantly so I decided to update this thread.

13. Oh dear, I'm sorry. I don't really know what to tell you, except that even though your mom's wrong to think that you're screwing up or that it was a choice for you or that this is a phase, she cares about you. If she didn't, she wouldn't be so upset. She's probably just worried because it IS sometimes harder for LGBT people to navigate life, with the lack of acceptance we sometimes face.

I'm not sure what else you can do really, but it seems as though talking to you brother and having him on your side in this is a good idea.

The other thing is, PFLAG. They have lots of information for parents who think this way when their child comes out. I don't know if you could convince her to go to a local chapter just yet, but you might be able to get some of their pamphlets online for her. It's good stuff, I've read a few of them, it answers a lot of questions they might have and also dispels a lot of false beliefs about being LGBT.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mark,

First, sorry for experiences you're having.

Secondly, it sounds like your mom is going through the normal stages (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance) that anyone goes through when processing a loss like this. Remember you've had years to think about this and come to this conclusion for yourself; your mom is just processing it. The initial "it's a phase" is part of denial; it's a way your mom convinces herself that it isn't really true and won't last. But the "You're screwing up your life" and getting angry at you is part of the anger phase. The good news is, that means she's mostly moved past the denial phase. The bad news is, the anger phase isn't fun... but it usually doesn't last long.

The bargaining phase may include sending you to a therapist in hopes you can be cured, or trying to convince you that you're bi and not gay... but the good news is, as difficult as it is for you, she is processing it and I'm confident she'll be fine with it once she comes through all of the process.

Please keep updating us :slight_smile:

15. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My brother tried to talk to my mom and she just got really mad that he was supporting me and 'encouraging' me. He just kept talking until she had to shut up and listen to him. She didn't say anything after she just cried a lot. I'm not really sure if it's helped or not yet but at least she's acting fairly normal since my brother and dad are home. My dad still doesn't know what's going on so he's really confused!
    @thedreamwatch I gave her some PFLAG leaflets and she looked at them for a second then put them in the bin so...that won't really help.

16. flymetothemoon

Mark, did you give her the PFLAG pamphlets personally? Maybe try putting them somewhere she will be likely to find them when she is alone instead? I think that at the point she is at, she's not ready to show any sign of accepting it to anyone else. She needs to work through this in her own head first, and allowing her to look at the pamphlets on her own time without anyone around might help with that.

17. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @flymetothemoon The day I came out I printed some stuff off for her and left it with her stuff and they were gone the next day so I'm not sure what she did with them but I printed off different stuff the last time and left them on the table beside her and walked away and she made sure that I saw her throw them away.

On Tuesday my brother convinced my mom to talk to me and we talked for ages, well really I did most of the talking but she seemed to be dealing with it quite well and she gave me a hug and stuff and said sorry for a few things that she's done and everything was great...for a few hours. That night we were all having dinner and she just randomly announced to my dad that I'm gay, even though she promised a few hours earlier that she wouldn't tell him.My dad was really mad and my mom just sat there the whole time while he was going crazy.Then my brother got my dad to shut up but my mom started telling my dad all this other stuff about me that he and my brother didn't know, that I told her in confidence a while ago.My brother was really mad that I'd never told him about that stuff and he just left the house, leaving me alone with my parents.My dad was really mad about the other thing but he went back to being mad about me being gay and my mom joined in with him, so I guess really she hasn't accepted it at all.Anyways a lot of other stuff happened and they ended up telling me to go stay with someone for the night so I went to my friends house (the friend who's brother is gay and my mom went to talk to his mom when I came out). I ended up telling his mom everything and she was really confused because she thought that the day my mom went to talk to her that she was pretty much accepting it, that she was just shocked.So I stayed with them that night and the next night.On Thursday I met up with my brother and we made up...kinda. My mom called my friends mom to see if I had been staying with them and told her to send me home, so I went home and they just got mad that I didn't come home, even though they told me to leave. Now we're just not really talking and I'm doing my best to not be at home except for when I need to be.I really wish I hadn't told my mom.

I know I just need to give them time and hopefully they'll accept it or even just stop being so mad. I really appreciated all the advice you guys have given me and I know there probably isn't anything else ye can tell me, I just need somewhere I can vent about it!

18. predator9089

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow i'm sorry to hear that. You're right about giving them time and just try not to let it get to you (haha easier said than done) and stay above their pettiness. It's always comforting when you're more mature than your parents :wink:. One thing i've learned, you can't tell individual family members things in confidence, because it never stays in confidence! It was really desperate and stupid of your mom to use that though against you. Only thing i can think of is to try to totally make up with your brother, because you need someone totally on your side through this.

It's strange how your friend's mom got the impression your mom was starting to accept it, but then you mom turns around and does this. Is your mom a Christian? I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it. My mom is, and she will give the impression to people she knows that she has a certain position on something, but really she doesn't think that and is just saying that because she knows it's the widely accepted position on the issue and doesn't want to start a confrontation.

#18 predator9089, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  19. Marlowe

So, I can't really offer any advice, but hang in there. As you yourself recognize you have made it this far, and now its all over but the shouting. I think you show incredible patience and poise in this attitude, especially since you still live with your parents. I don't think I would be able to handle this even being away from them. So, yeah, remember we are always here to listen, even if all that you want to do it rant.

20. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ya well I definitely won't be telling her anything like that ever again!

Well that too is easier said then done.He's pretending like he's forgiven me but I know he hasn't.I just need to figure out someway to fix things.

Well she identifies as a Christian but that's just because that's what she was brought up to be.She doesn't have a very strong faith or anything so I'm not sure if that would affect her or not!

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2011 at 01:49 AM ----------

Thank you Marlowe (*hug*)