1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents... how did they react??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by KaotikPrincess, Jul 29, 2011.

1. KaotikPrincess

How did your parents react when they first found out you were LGBT etc.? and what are things like between you and your parents right now?

My parents had been divorced since before I was born so I was closest with my mother pretty much my whole life because my father was gone from when I was age 4 to 12, and I don't really know where his views stand on this kind of thing and frankly I don't really care. I told my step mom I was Bi when I was 16 and I don't know if she told my dad or not but it never came up after that so I don't really know but it's not that important to me...

As for my mother, we were close and I knew I could tell her about anything and when I told her I was Bi when I was 14 it all went pretty damn awesome. My mother assured me it was alright and she still loves me the same and that her unconditional love would always be there for me (her only child)... so yeah that's pretty much my story :eusa_danc

#1 KaotikPrincess, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents reacted fine and we have a great relationship. They thought it was obvious that I was and I guess that's a good thing because it wasn't a shock to them when I did let them know. They love me no matter what and just want what makes me happy. They've even met a few of my boyfriends in the past and that always went well. :slight_smile:

3. toxickittens3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well my mom reacted differently, she was appointed at first and denied it for a while saying that i was just confused liking only women and not men, but then i got to the 10th grade and things got even more complicated for me...i started liking boys and then i was really confused, didn't know what was wrong with me...till a really good friend told me that its nothan to stress about, that i was just bi, and shouldn't feel confused...after that i was relieved. but i knew then that i was different from any other girl, and i felt really happy that i wasn't the same and was on a way different track in life...i love my flag! <3

4. autoKrat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents didn't care at all. They told me that i'd probably save a lot of money because kids are so expensive (my dads hilarious).

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I don't remember how well my mother took me being gay, but I know she did accept it and has absolutely no problems with it now. She ended up telling my dad because I couldn't work up the courage to do so, and when it was finally brought up that I was gay, his reaction was, "...maybe." I chewed him out for that, and as far as I know, he's also okay with it now. So our relationship is still great, and they have no problem with me liking guys.

The pomogender thing didn't go over as well, largely because of the context in which they found it out. There was a time when I considered going by the name Shannon instead of my current name, because it's a gender neutral name, and I was starting to realize that I see myself in more gender-neutral terms than in a solely male way. I ended up not doing it, but my decision to not do it came after telling my parents I was considering it, so they had to find out I don't fully consider myself a male (I prefer to just not put a term to my gender identity, hence "pomogender") by asking why I wanted to discard the name they had given me. And this wasn't a small deal; they picked "Owen" (my current name) deliberately for numerous reasons, and I could see the hurt and disappointment in their eyes when I told them I didn't want it anymore. So yeah, that's not exactly the best time to find it out.

The only other time it has come up is when I asked my parents about the possibility of them getting me a kilt for my birthday (we talk about what we want for our birthdays in our family; the phrase "make a list" is common in our household). My dad's excuse for saying no was that we couldn't afford it, but my mother's was that she's worried that I'm already very gender-nonconforming with my long hair, and if I wear a kilt, she thinks I'll be going from not conforming to gender norms because that's who I am to not conforming to gender norms for the sake of not conforming to gender norms. She also told me that while we're out, she sees the looks I get for my long hair, so she worries for my safety if I were to wear a kilt. I don't worry, though, because I'm six feet tall, almost two hundred pounds, and I walk with an air of confidence, so I'm the kind of person people hesitate to mess with.

We don't really discuss my gender identity, though, and I get the feeling they're fine with it when they separate it mentally from the name and kilt disagreements.

6. Remy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mine's not exactly that good lol. The topic came up with my dad once when he was asking why I still don't have a girlfriend. I more or less just tried to blow him off saying like "iono" and stuff. Then he was quiet for a bit, and asked me if my best friend was my boyfriend, to which I said "No. In fact, he has his own girlfriend."

Then it continued a bit somehow (don't quite remember) and I told him I could swing both ways. Then he was quiet again, and said to me (since I haven't had any relationships yet) to not "cross the line" and just go with the girls, for he cannot accept gays. I pretty much expected it, since he's Christian and I've heard him stipulate homosexuality leading to bestiality like years ago. Back then I didn't know I was gay and didn't think of it much.

I probed him a bit asking why he couldn't accept it, and tried to inform him of the studies done, false stereotypes and things, but in the end he just said he can't accept it because it "feels wrong". He said he still loved me but he was looking pretty sad and depressed.

I don't know if he ever told my mom, and that was also back when I thought I was bi, when I'm probably more like a kinsey 5. These days things are back to normal with kind of a "that conversation never happened" feel. I guess it's like the "don't ask, don't tell" situation haha. I don't think I'd bring it up again anyway because I doubt I can change their mind and it's just gonna be annoying dealing with their reaction. Plus it'd be nice if my funding for university isn't threatened ^^; I'll be going across the country for my studies so I can have boyfriends there without them knowing, so it's all good.

7. Wolfy

When I came out to my mom about being Transgendered she kind of flipped and was telling me I wasn't this and that. It's bad, and still is.

Me and my mom don't have a good relationship at all. We always fight and yeah. I've been out 6 months now to her.

8. steel03

I left them a note. I felt awful all the way back up to school and I threw up right away when I got there. They both texted me saying they love me and accept me and that now the hardest part is over. Then we had a nice phone conversation that evening and they both said they wish they were there to hug me.

9. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom didn't care, she took it wonderfully. I think we're actually even closer now. Discussions about gay issues have increased greatly once I came out to her.

My dad doesn't know yet, because he hasn't called/emailed since I started coming out. We don't talk anyway. He doesn't know much about me to begin with...

10. Giorria

Giorria Guest

My Mum cried a bit, mostly because of the homophobic things she said in the past but also because she thought I was gonna get lynched by everyone in the outside world. She is fine with me though, I think it made her look at her ways a bit from finding out that she actually had a gay son.

My Dad was fine from the start from when I told him and my Mum. He does like to play the stereotype game with me but its all in jest.

My relationship hasn't changed with either of them.

11. gleefanatic15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My mom didnt take it well . She was reading a convo on my phone w/ a friend of mine and we were talking about all guys we like . And the next morning she flipped shit and was saying how i was raised better than that and then went on to ask me was i ever molested as a child, that pissed me off, and she requested that i didnt tell any family because shes so ashamed .

12. Mogget

My dad didn't care. He made a quick joke about not getting grandchildren, but apart from that, he was fine. He's a real sweetie, was horrified when he found out Obama didn't support same-sex marriage.

13. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Both parents took it well. They said they support me and want me to be happy. My mom is even going to join PFLAG.

14. Tiny Catastrophe

My mom kinda found out on accident when I was 16 and she wasn't too happy about it I guess because of the way she found out. But when I was 17 I like "officially" came out to her and after a while she became ok with it. She even jokes about it now. When I told my dad and my stepmom it was a lot easier since apparently she had a bet going with my dad since I was younger lol. He wasn't too happy, only because he lost money but other then that it went pretty good lol

15. aidan

My mom thought I was joking and told everyone in my family. Later, when she realised I wasn't, she was shocked for a while and made me a sandwich. She thought I was going through a phase for a few months after that but she's nothing but supportive now.

I've never had a conversation about it with my dad, I doubt he'd even know if my mom hadn't told him. I can tell he's not happy about it though, and he's quite passive aggressive about it.

16. KaotikPrincess

These are all great responses. I was surprised to learn that most of you who responded didn't have much of a problem with your parents and that your relationship hasn't changed much, it's very inspiring. I feel blessed to have such understanding parents. :thumbsup:

As for you who's coming out didn't go well with your parents, it upsets me to know that. Maybe they just need time to adjust to the idea, kinda like having a new baby, it's strange at first but then you get used to it and learn how to handle it. Your parents will come around eventually, they can't shut you out of their lives forever. Anyone who can create a life and just throw it away like nothing doesn't deserve to have you anyway. It's their loss! :icon_wink

17. Remy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's exactly the kind of mindset I like :grin:

18. KaotikPrincess

Thank you (*hug*)

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First time around, pretty bad.

Second time around, not too shabby at all.

20. AngelicDemonic

Mom, haven't.
    Dad - who I don't live with sadly, He was a tad lukewarm at first, something about "don't label yourself so young" (I was 12 at the time) but he's warmed up.
    Having a boyfriend makes it difficult to not accept your lesbian daughter :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: