1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, that was weird.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by King Gandora, Aug 3, 2011.

1. King Gandora

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I came out to my best friend the other day, and it was just weird. We were sitting around talking after a party but I really wasn't talking because I was in a mood and my friend (m) asked what was wrong. I told her that I've wanted to tell her something but I didn't know when. We then had the following convo.

m: Just tell me already.
    Me: Well fine, I'll tell you. I'm gay.
    m: Bullshit.
    Me: Wha...what?
    m: I call bullshit, there is no way you can be gay.
    Me: And how would you know?
    m: You don't act gay and I know the signs.
    Me:frowning2:goes into a rant about stereotyping and etc.)
    m:Fine fine you're gay, no need to rip my head off. It's no big deal if you are, It won't change anything.
    Me: oh, wellll ok then.
    m: Anywho, how was your day?

That wasn't really how I wanted to come out my first time but oh well I guess, at least she was accepting and understanding. It was just a really weird feeling. :confused:

2. Just Passing

My guess is that it was just shock on your friend's part and the possibility that they thought you may have been joking. Sometimes it just happens that way unfortunately.

3. PersonalTaste27

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    when i came out to my best friend she just kept giggling the whole time lol

4. King Gandora

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haha, I guess you guys are right. I probably would have seen shock on her face if I could look at her, but I was so scared/nervous I just kept looking at my hands.

5. Sadepeura

Haha, that really is weird. :grin: Sounds like she doesn't know that many gay people, but has this idea in her head what they're like. She's accepting though and now she knows that you're gay, that's the main thing. :slight_smile: Reminds me a little bit of my cousin who "wants a gay friend to go shopping with". I felt like maybe I should offer myself, but figured that it's not the best way to come out to her. :grin:

Congratulations to coming out to your first though! Well done!

6. Leif

When my best friend came out, that was pretty much how everyone reacted. I imagine it is an odd thing. Sometimes people just don't know what to say, if you want to talk to to her about it more maybe just give her a few days to get used to the idea.

7. Homo Novus

When I came out to my best friend, he laughed and exclaimed "I KNEW IT!" He was super cool about it. :slight_smile:

8. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know what you felt about being stereo typed to different gay people. There are so many womanly types and that's it was most people view as gay. even for my friends and co-workers it was quite a shock. I don;t act like the womanly gay type... if i didn't say i'm gay and we were not talking about guys you would have thought me an ordinary straight guy. At least you there to show your friend there are more than 1 type of gay people.

Congrats though... good luck for the rest of the people you want to come out to! ;-D

9. FruityFascism

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This happened to me quite a few times. They'll come around. It just takes some time. (*hug*)

10. King Gandora

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    She is perfectly fine now. She is even very supporting and accepting. We have this one friend who is constantly asking me about girls or trying to set meup and everytime he does me and her look at each other and just laugh. :slight_smile:

11. ihkcs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    that's awesome that you have a friend who knows now... so you don't have to pretend around everyone! so cool. even though you said it felt a little weird when you came out, it seems like it's benefitting you now. :slight_smile: