1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm came out and my mom rejected it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by DerekB15, Aug 4, 2011.

1. DerekB15

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So earlier today I came out to my mom I was bisexual. I'm 16 years old and have been dealing with these feeling ever since 7th grade. I told her this and she totally rejected the fact that I'm a bisexual even saying "it's just a phase, don't label yourself bisexual". She has never voiced her opinion on the LGBT community but my dad has and he hates "non straight people or fags" (his words). This is why I told her and not my dad but now I don't think I can trust her. I think she's going to tell him even though I asked if it could be kept between me and her. I'm so scared and confused.

2. Johnnieguy

Denial is a normal part of the grieving process, which preceeds acceptance. Most parents who react this way will come around in their own time.

Perhaps you can help educate them by providing materials on GLBT issues, especially bisexuality, and refer them to PFLAG.

Give them both space, but make youreslf available for when they are ready to talk like grown-ups.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, welcome to EC!!

This happens sometimes with parents. It took us some time to accept our sexuality, so it will take your mom some time as well. Maybe you could lay out some information for her, Pflag is a good place to get some info. (I would put some links but I'm on my ipod, so some other people might be able to link you)

Just stay strong!! Things will get better!!

4. DerekB15

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the advice, reading advice from people have have gone through a similar phase as me is comforting. Thanks a bunch.:thumbsup:

5. KaotikPrincess

I don't see what all the fuss is about, being Bisexual is awesome, it's genius, parents are just jealous they hadn't thought of it sooner!! :eusa_danc:grin::kiss: