1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by KB2111, Aug 5, 2011.

1. KB2111

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so i came out to parents yesterday. i've been writing them letters ever since i got home from okinawa. I left the final draft on the kitchen table yesterday morning and left for work. I couldn't eat all day because i was so nervous. At about 5 last night i got a text from my mom saying that she read it and that it hurt her heart. When I got home, i asked her if she had any questions for me. she told me that she didnt wanna talk about it and she had more important things to worry about right now...then she started tearing up. I've decided that I'm gonna let her come to me when she's ready to.

then this morning at work, my dad pulled me outside and told me how he felt about it. he said that all he ever wanted for his 4 daughters was for them to be happy. he said that he accepts it and that he supports me 100%. he also said that my mom will come around eventually.

I never would've thought that the fact that they know would feel so amazing.

2. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

i'm sorry ur mom doesn't accept you (*hug*) just give her time. and congradulations on coming out- that's very brave!! :eusa_clap

3. PersonalTaste27

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats :slight_smile: your mom will come around she just needs time. (*hug*)

4. Katelynn

Congratulations for being so brave & for having such a great dad! (*hug*) You're mom will be OK too, I just know it, just give her a little bit of time.

5. chrisb

You are very brave to come out, but are you sure your mom is upset about you being gay? Or the way in which you came out. To me letters are incredibly impersonal way to come out, and i know my mom how close we we're would have been deeply hurt that i couldnt talk to her in person about it. I do not know your situation though, and i'm not judging your decision just giving a possibly take on this situation. Try talking to her sit down hug and cry, thats what mothers want to do, a letter she reads and crys by herself questioning so many things with no answers in sight... Anyway good luck and please update us on your situation.

6. 4alex6

Congratulations on coming out to your parents! I'm sure you mom will come around and talk to you some more about it and hopefully she will fully support you!! Good luck and keep us updated if you can! :slight_smile:

7. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Congrats. (*hug*)
    I hope your mom comes around soon.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats on going for it! :slight_smile:

Like everyone else already mentioned, your mom will probably come around eventually and having your dad being accepting should make that process a bit faster.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on coming out!! Your mom most likely just needs some time.

10. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats!!!!

you know guys tend to be closer to their mothers while girls will tend to be closer to their fathers... i think it was truly cool of your dad and follow his advice that your mom will get around to it eventually

11. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

wow how'ja know that?? that's true in my case..

12. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a common trend, like me, I'm closer to my mom, while my 2 sisters are closer to my dad.. but you do get the exception to the rule though.

It has something to do with opposites attract. When you grow up you are more than likely to associate with you dad than your mom, and you know the sayings of "momma's boy" and "daddy's little girl"

---------- Post added 9th Aug 2011 at 01:27 AM ----------

This is a common trend, like me, I'm closer to my mom, while my 2 sisters are closer to my dad.. but you do get the exception to the rule though.

It has something to do with opposites attract. When you grow up you are more than likely to associate with you dad than your mom, and you know the sayings of "momma's boy" and "daddy's little girl"

13. DaintyL5

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Congrats! Your mum'll come round, I'm sure.
    You're a lot braver than me, I can tell you. I cannot even conceive coming out in the near future.
    Anyway, congrats! :grin:

14. FruityFascism

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so happy for you! (*hug*)

It has been four years and my mother still hasn't come around. Something about it not being part of "God's plan." My dad is great though. He is quietly supportive and although it is not optimal, it is all I've got. :] I always do find it weird that the women in my family are less understanding than the men. :/

Here's to our mother's coming around. (*hug*)

15. KB2111

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so i talked to my grandma today. she said that she had a feeling that there was something different about me and she basically asked me. i told her that im gay and surprisingly she was very accepting about it. she said that she and my grandpa will love me no matter what. i have a cousin who is gay so i shouldve known that they would be accepting. then she told me to not flaunt it around the family and i already know better than that.

i couldnt be happier with the way that my family is handling this (well except my mom). im so glad i have them.

16. FloatingPiano

Congrats!! Glad to see everything went pretty well, and that your dad and grandparents accept you. :slight_smile: And just give your mom some time. I'm sure she'll come around eventually.

And I like the idea you had about coming out by letter. I thinks that's what I'm gonna do. :slight_smile: