1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my best friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by PrisonBreakBoy, Aug 7, 2011.

1. PrisonBreakBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So over the weekend I came out to my first two friends (I told one other person a few years back, but I don't count them, since we weren't friends). Here's the story so far, apologies that it is long, but I've been wanting to post one of these for ages, now I can (yay!):

On Friday I went out with my two best friends Luke and Sasha, who happen to be brother and sister. The evening started off kind of dull, hardly saying much to one another, because we were all exhausted after a long week. Eventually the conversation steered towards me and why I never speak about my emotions or hardly ever get emotional, I asked them to change the subject, because at this point I had a feeling of where it was heading. They refused to leave it alone and started asking me about who I was interested in (whilst being very careful to avoid pronouns), I knew then that I absolutely had to change the subject and begged them just to leave me alone. They wouldn't budge and eventually I said tearily: "Right guys, I'm sorry I haven't told you this before, you deserve to know. I should have told you long ago, because I have known for ages, I'm not interested in women, I like guys.". That was it it.

Sasha responded first saying how happy she was for me. Then Luke, told me how awesome it was. During the brief silence that followed, Sasha started crying, saying how she felt so bad I had to keep it inside for so long. It was beautiful, I couldn't help but start crying myself. This was all happening in the middle of a semi-busy food court, yet it felt like we were the only people there. Eventually we hugged and sat and calmed ourselves down. Then came the questions: "How long have you known?", "Have you told your parents?", "Who are you interested in?". It was hard, my responses weren't very well thought out - at this point I was just running nervously on adrenalin. They were wonderful though, both of them ended up trying to play matchmaker.

We then proceeded to go a watch a movie (Captain America - was completely rubbish imho)nwhich we had booked earlier. Eventually the movie finished and it was time to take Luke and Sasha home. First I took Sasha to her dorm and then Luke to back to our houses which are 25 minutes away from the dorm. I thought being alone in the car with Luke was going to be awkward, but it wasn't, we were making jokes and carrying on like usual. When I dropped Luke off he told me how proud he was of me. I didn't deserve it, since it was really him and Sasha who made me come out the closet, but it was still awesome hearing those words from my straight best friend.

The next morning (Saturday) I went on Skype chat with Luke and the first thing he said was that he wanted to show me a present that he was going to buy me, followed by a link to Zac Efron on the cover of the Seventeen Again blu-ray edition. I don't have a blu-ray player so I told him that he needs to get me one first. He jokingly agreed, saying Zac in HD was a requirement. I couldn't stop laughing, it left me with a permanent smile on my face the whole day. Throughout the day Sasha facebook messaged with guys that she thought were gay and available. It was like nothing had changed, yet everything had.

Today (Sunday), I saw them again, we started mostly talking about other things, but it inevitably turned to me being gay, Sasha started asking me about guys again, this time it was way easier though. Luke said Sasha and I are just like Will and Grace and pleaded with us that he could be Karen, we eventually relented and said fine he can be Karen - he definitely wouldn't have made a good Jack.

It's been a good weekend, the best one this year, maybe the best one of my life. I never pictured coming out being this good. I want to start tell others, in fact I can't wait, especially now that I know Luke and Sasha have got my back. My parents will be the hardest I think, but it will have to happen eventually. Life is starting to look good, I don't have to lie to two of the most important people in my life and they still want to be my friend. I can't imagine it being easy for them, even though have clearly known for while. I'm incredibly lucky to have them in my life.

2. Sadepeura

Congratulations, I'm happy for you that you have such great best friends! :slight_smile: Thank you for sharing your story. And good luck when you tell the others!

3. Tristar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wonderful story and congrats!

(!)(!)(!)

4. acd92

This story brought so many happy tears to my eyes. I'm glad to hear everything went so well... :slight_smile:

5. 4alex6

Awww this story is so sweet! Congratulations on coming out to some of your friends! :grin: (!)

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!!

7. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

Congratulations. I'm glad everthing went so well.

8. PsychoticMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats man! :slight_smile:

9. PersonalTaste27

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  10. Bosco

Your friends are awesome! :slight_smile:
    Congrats!

11. Phillip

Congratulations! I'm planning to do the same with my closest friends as well, and I would be ecstatic if it turned out as well as it did for you. Though I am planning to take them each on one-on-one, I hope that the reaction will be just as loving. Thank you so much for sharing (*hug*)

12. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats... glad everything went so smoothly for you!!!

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats on going for it and having some really awesome people by your side! It only gets better from here so enjoy :slight_smile:

Really enjoyed reading your story :slight_smile:

14. FruityFascism

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was great to read. I laughed out loud quite a bit. Thank you so much for sharing, it made my day. :]

15. PrisonBreakBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys for the kind responses. I spoke to Luke yesterday on Skype chat again, he apologised for being "offish", saying: "quite a lot to take in..i mean my best friend is gay" and how "it isn't new for me, but is for him". Things had being slightly awkward (for both of us), but I think that was to be expected. Luke had been so great about it, that it didn't cross my mind that it might be hard for him, it seems obvious now though. It must have been strange to hear me talking about guys with his sister, even though we were all having a laugh about it. The conversation has just been focused on me being gay the past few days and I think it is because we all still in shock about it. Anyways, will see him again today and try explain that to him.

16. Noir

You're so fortunate to have such understanding and accepting friends! ^-^