1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told my sister and i feel nothing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ihkcs, Aug 8, 2011.

1. ihkcs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, last thursday, my sister and I were texting a lot about how my mom is getting married soon. the conversation progressed to her saying she doesn't think i am going to get married for a long time because i haven't had a boyfriend for 3 years. My horrible segway was...

me: do you think you're going to marry a boy?
    her: Fuck you! i've never even been with a girl!
    me: well the reason i said that is because..dont get mad...but i'm not going to marry a boy. i dont like them. i hope that's ok
    her: i don't give a shit. have you ever been with a girl?
    me: no (that was a lie) but i'm positive i'm a lesbian
    her: awesome! you're such a hot lesbian!
    me: haha thanks
    her: why are you coming out to me over text?? lets go to lunch!
    me: ok pick me up

so anyways.. she took it really well. we went to lunch and she asked me how i figured it out. i told her that it was a 6 year process but that i'm happy with who i am now and i'm excited to move on with my life.
    she said a lot of things like "wow this is so exciting!" and "sooo...you're into the vag, huh?"

she said that she loves our family and how we can all be so independent and supportive of each other. she told me she thinks my mom will be super supportive. she said i should pull my mom aside at her wedding and say "hey mom... you know i'm never going to have a wedding like this one, with a groom and everything.." haha but i won't! i will tell my mom on a less important day in her life

i guess the point of this post is to say that after i told my sister, i didn't feel any different at all. i was happy that it went well but i wasn't ecstatic or anything. it wasn't like the feeling i got when i told a few friends, that feeling like you want to go out and tell everyone you know that very second... you know?
    so i'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to maybe why i didn't feel super happy about telling her. maybe i had a guard up in case she took it wrong. i don't know. but i've seen her since then and we've hung out and everything was totally normal...
    so that's all :dry:

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on coming out to your sister!! It's great that your sister is supportive of you!! When I told my first two friends, I actually regretted it for a while. It took me some time to be used to "being out" to my two friends. So I think that this is normal. Also, it's a good thing that everything is normal because that means that she took it well and it did not bother her.

3. redstormrising

i had a similar experience with my sister (and also came out to her over text message). she just texted back "well of course i love you and support you no matter what. duh!" and that was that. i'm not sure what i was expecting, but it was kind of . . . anticlimactic. on one hand i am glad she didn't make a big deal out of it, but i guess it was so nerve-wracking for me to even do it, i was expecting more of a response on her end. we've hung out and gone to the beach since and she doesn't treat me any differently, it's a total nonissue

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Reactions after coming out can range from feeling nothing to feelings completely happy. It all depends on various things, but every single reaction is normal :slight_smile: Maybe you did have your guard up or maybe your sister was "too" supportive or maybe it hasn't even hit you yet. Either way, whatever emotion you feel, try to enjoy it :slight_smile:

Congrats on coming out to your sis!! :slight_smile:

5. ezkill

I think part of the post-"coming out" excitement comes from the anxiety before coming out. I think the build up of anxious feelings before hand causes you to blow your top, and once you get it off your chest, it is like releasing a bunch of stress at once, causing you to feel a "high". I can't gather too much information from your post, but I am assuming you weren't as anxious about coming out to her?

Anyways, I remember when I came out to my sister; or, more accurately, she outed me to herself! Back in the day I used to have a myspace, and I used that to come out. Except, I didn't really announce it, I just changed my "orientation" to gay. Unfortunately, I was also going back and forth between the closet and out of it, but some people noticed anyways so you can't reverse it. One night I received a text from my sister that said: "Hi *****, I know you are gay. I won't tell mom. I love you very much and nothing will ever change that".

I was kind of disappointed that she found out, but at the same time I always knew she would never have freaked out about it. Me and her are very, very close now.

6. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only

I think I get how you feel. I just came out yesterday, and afterwards it didn't feel like much had changed. I expected something else, I guess, and since it didn't go exactly how I thought it would, I didn't know how to react, or how to feel. I felt normal, almost like I hadn't come out.