1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many people *knew* before you did?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by addie88, Aug 21, 2011.

?

how many people *knew* you were LGBT before you did?

1. none

35 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. a few

36 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. half

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. most

10 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. all

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. addie88

it took me 16 and a half years to figure out that i'm a lesbian. i've come out to eight people so far, and the only person who hadn't already guessed it before i even realized it myself was my mother, who still hasn't accepted it.

so what percentage of people had already known or had taken an educated guess when you told them? how many people were like, "dude. i knew the day i met you." or "sounds about right"?

2. SO many people said that they knew before I did. Some of the most unlikely people, too! One of my oldest friends was telling her dad that I just came out and he was like "yeah, I've known since she was twelve...". I absolutely geeked out when I heard he said that.

3. SaphireMoon

about 2-3 hours north of the twin cities in MN
    lol my brother suspected,but im not fully out so i dont know how many people do :grin:

4. Vivien

Vivien Guest

omg.. every single one of my friends parents when i called for the first time they were like is he gay. i mean its pretty close and alot of people just assumed and i found out that later and they were like oh so your not..

5. crazyhead

Pretty much every one I knew fairly well. Including my parents. They all knew before I did. But I was in theatre at the time and they knew that you don't need a lisp to be gay. It's surprising to everyone else.

6. kem

kem

I'm not sure. My best friend used to say things like "You know, I wouldn't mind if you were gay" and "Just come out, it's not that big a deal" but I don't know if he was really serious. It wouldn't surprise me if no one from my old school knew; I didn't "look gay" back then.

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One. My brother. And even with him, it wasn't so much that he knew, but he did say he had considered the idea.

And then there was my gay friend, but he just knew when I was leading in to coming out. So I don't think 5 minutes counts as knowing ahead of time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

All the others (which would add up to 30 or so people that knew me for long enough before I came out) said they had no idea whatsoever, though.

8. Just Passing

So far only an old school friend knew pretty much. :grin:

9. Mad Man L

None. In Grades 6/7/8 people would call me 'gay', but remember, 'gay' was/is also a generic insult, so I won't count that. I've had my sexuality questioned, but it has been mostly as an insult from idiotic people. :lol:

So in short, nobody knew really until I actually started telling people.

10. maverick

My brother told me he suspected as much.

11. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My best friend said that he'd known since we were about 11.
    Another friend said that he was sure that I was bi, apparently I was good at pretending to have crushes on girls Lol

12. Noahroxursox

I'm going to say four, because my parents told me that when I was eleven-ish, they had wondered, and then asked me, but I said no, because I hadn't really thought about my sexuality then, so they assumed I was straight, but I personally don't think they ever stopped wondering. That takes care of two people, the other two are my friends, and they were wondering because I always said I didn't like anyone whenever they asked, which isn't quite true, but I never liked any girls, so they kinda knew

13. Branconegro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry, misunderstood the question...

#13 Branconegro, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  14. query

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i dropped hints for my freind for over half a year, and when i finally told him he was shocked. i believe his words where 'whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????'. but our freindship is still as strong as ever.

15. Fiddledeedee

None whatsoever; the most common reaction reaction I got was along the lines of "That was... unexpected." "I didn't think you would be... y'know..." etc. etc..

16. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

I haven't come out to them directly but I think my mom, my sister, my brother, and my niece know for sure. Possibly my dad also. My brother and sister have both dropped hints around me that make me suspect that they know I am a lesbian. My brother mentioned he doesn't have a problem with gays. My sister on more than one occasion has told my parents "Don't count on her getting married" or "Why don't you go to "certain place" I hear they have a lot of lesbians there. I am guessing she knows. Unless she is just joking around. LOL. My niece was asking about any boyfriends I have had. My mom did happen to find out I kissed a girl one time, and she ended up crying. Then she said, "That's what I have always suspected." Now my mom is somewhat in denial, but yet I think she knows deep down. Lately she has been trying to introduce me to some "nice guys." I am really bad about hiding it, but I cannot bring myself to tell them directly that I actually am a lesbian.If I told them I don't think they would be too shocked.

---------- Post added 26th Aug 2011 at 04:27 AM ----------

I think all of it is stemming from the fact that I have no interest in guys whatsoever. I did happen to have my first boyfriend at 21, but that only lasted two weeks :slight_smile:

#16 cityofangels, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011
  17. Lotty

My sister said she knew... but one of my best friends said she thought even she herself was more likely to be gay (and trust me, she is everything but gay). But I've changed a lot since then, and the last person I told was like, 'Oh, well, yeah, I guess I could've figured.'

18. Nick

When I was telling my first, I was kind of hinting at it but then she said she had "an idea of where this is going" which I confirmed not long after to her.

Next I've had a gay friend/acquaintance ask me.

And the third person I told didn't mention it either way (but after some of the conversations we've had, I would find it highly unlikely if she didn't know).

Plus pretty much everyone at my work makes comments and jokes (like jokes that a friend would make, which I go along with). I'm not sure if they think I'm being serious or not about things but I'm sure that some people from work would know. And it's not like I try and hide or change who I am, I just haven't addressed the situation with them.

19. Raeil

Out of who I've told, no one knew before I did, even if you discount my 7 years of denying my sexuality, I still knew it was there. The only person who wasn't surprised by my coming out to him was a friend who I'd talked to about other stuff that had changed in my life, and I'd told him there was some stuff I wasn't ready to talk about yet. Pretty much instantly he knew it was about me being gay, but he kept his mouth shut and waited for me to be ready to come out.

20. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

no one knew, apparently- not sure how i feel about that lol. i mean, i don't try to act straight at all (i don't drool over boys with my friends, i don't get all awkward when i hear the word "gay"), but i guess i just have a good poker face or something lol