1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story so far... And a request for input

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by reallyrandomguy, Aug 23, 2011.

1. reallyrandomguy

So I've been out to my parents for almost a year. So far, they're the only other people who know. I was out to my mom for almost a year before that.
    Basically, I sent my mom an email, and when she read it, she told me that she loved me no matter what.
    Then, a year later, I told my mom I wanted to come out to my dad. I sent them both an email, so that it appeared to my dad that I was telling both of them at the same time. I sent a couple drafts to my mom, and when we finally decided on a draft, I sent it to my parents before dinner.
    Once they had read it, they walked into my room, said "We love you no matter what," and hugged me.
    (If you're interested in reading the email, I'll post it later.)

Anywho, I'm ready to come out to more people, and since I was away for most of this summer at a film camp, I was planning on showing my friends some of my work. Being a filmmaker/comfortable on camera, I was thinking of making a video to show at the end of the "screening." It would be slightly humorous, with me actually stepping out of my closet, and I would make sure to emphasize that I hadn't changed, like I did in the email to my parents. I'm still working out the script, just in case I do end up making it.

I'm thinking of doing it this way because I don't want to offend people by telling others first. This way, I feel that the "important" people will know before it spreads around the school/people leave for college.

The one thing that makes me slightly nervous is that a majority of the people who I'm planning on inviting are friends from my church. I'm a member of the United Methodist Church, which doesn't sanction gay marriage or clergy (But they are making progress... Slowly but surely. At least according to my mom, who's a pastor for the church), but I'm pretty sure that my friends would be at least outwardly tolerant.

I just wanted to get some input on the idea and see what you all thought about the idea. Does it sound good? Bad? Ugly? I just want some other opinions before I film and edit it, then end up not using it, since I've got other film projects I need to do. (Applying to film schools is really competitive, and some require videos. Therefore, I need time to make the video, and since they're generally early decision dates, I don't want to waste my time for something I'm not going to use.)

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, congrats on coming out to your parents! I'm glad they were so accepting. :slight_smile:

I think the video is a great idea. It sounds like you have an interesting script already planned out. I'm sure the movie will turn out fantastically!

As for your friends, I have heard that Methodists are among the most accepting of homosexuality. Assuming that most of these people you are inviting would be younger, I think they should be okay with it. It's up to you, really, nobody can guess how they might react better than you.

3. Wow, that's awesome that your parents are so cool about you being gay! It's a nice foundation to stand on when your family has your back like that.

As far as your coming out film, I think that's an awesome idea. That's so creative and personal, since you're so into film and your friends all know that. I think the film is a lovely idea and you should do it. It's you, it's exact (no need to figure out what to say, it's already said!) and you get everyone in at once so the news doesn't spread without you telling people yourself! It's really rather brilliant. :slight_smile:

4. maverick

I vote MUSIC video.

5. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    congrats on coming out to your folks.

I agree with Nazo, the video idea is actually very cool. Wish i thought about that LOL as for the church, well most of them should not have a problem with it. Find out if there are any gay people in church from your mom, if she says yes, then they will be accepting, if no... well your the ice breaker and at least your mom has a say in things at church.

Good luck!

6. Veronica

seconded!

Your story so far is awesome. Hope it continues like that.

7. reallyrandomguy

Thanks for the input! I've put together a rough script for the video which I'll post if anyone's interested once it's a little more refined.

Nazo: Yeah, Methodists are pretty accepting. I'm planning on inviting an agnostic, liberal (?) friend and a very close conservative Presbyterian friend that I've known since I moved here (2004), though, so that should be interesting.

thedreamwatch: Thanks! I think the idea's something that's easy enough for me to do and still place emphasis on the "me."

maverick and Veronica:
    I really want to do a music video, but I lack (upbeat) songs to use. I have a little footage from a time when some friends had me dance to Single Ladies for a talent show, and I have the outfit from that, but that's a little too funny for this video. I'll probably make something in the future that's a gay-themed music video, especially if I get some friends in on it. My songwriting skills are utterly disastrous, even for a singer/basic pianist.

thylvin: I'm actually working with my mom on this, so if there's anybody who has an issue with it, we'll be working it out together. Hopefully, that won't happen, but one never knows...

Thanks again!

8. MyBffIsGay

Think think the video is a good idea. As for the guest list, I would put out some feelers just to get an idea where they stand. Then invite the ppl you think need to know and will react well to the video. The ppl that may not react well to the video you could tell in person.
    I hope this helps at least a little bit. :slight_smile: