1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my new boss!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by EM68, Aug 26, 2011.

1. EM68

Yesterday I went on a second interview yesterday and I came out to my new boss. We were talking about the position (an insurance broker) and the man interviewing me asked if I was married and if I had kids. I told him that I'm married with no kids. Then he asked if my wife was supportive of me with this position. Without blinking I said my husband was real supportive. He said ok that is great. It did not phase him at all. We continued the conversation and about 10 minutes later he told me I would be a great fit for the position and offered me the job. I did the paper work one of the forms was my contact information, I listed my husband as a contact. I will get the formal letter next week once they do a credit and background check. But its a mere formality.

I planned to be open at my new job but I didn't think it was going to happen so soon. I felt that I would be honest upfront. It would have been awkward if I agreed with him when he said 'your wife' then have to correct this down the line. I am so happy now. I can not wait to start! :slight_smile:

2. maverick

Congrations on coming out to your boss! (!)

Word. I completely agree with you. This is why my coming out list is as follows:

1. Best friend.
    2. Immediate family.
    3. Boss.

I'm at a point in my life where I want people I'm in contact with to know where I stand, for better or worse. They can label me whatever they want, and I'll dress/date however I want.

If you have a problem with it, let's deal with it and get it done. If someone is blatantly homophobic, I want to know right off. Because I don't want people like that in authority over me.

If my boss had reacted in a homophobic manner when I came out to him, I'm not sure what I would have done.

Luckily, my boss is awesome. :icon_wink

3. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats, you have alot of guts and best wishes for the new job. I could not do it at my present job as its so much of an male dominated environment.

4. Tristar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations! Very nice to hear of your positive experience and good luck in your new job!

(!)

5. 4alex6

Congratulations!!! :slight_smile: (!)

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Woot! Congrats on not breaking a sweat and the new job :slight_smile:

7. Leif

That is really awesome. That really sets the example for a lot of us on here, Thank you!

8. "Wife and kids" is one illegal-ass question, but congrats!

9. george678

Congratulations, must of took some courage to do that. Good luck, with the new job.

10. Eleanor Rigby

That's wonderful ! I'm so happy for you Ed and I hope you're going to be much happier in your new job than you were on the previous one (*hug*) Congratulations on getting the job and coming out to your new boss.
    Take care (*hug*) Cécile

11. Sadepeura

That's really great! Congratulations for your new job!