1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't you love it when friends know you better than you do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Olive, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Olive

I just came out to one of my best and oldest friends. When I told her, she said 'Truthfully, its not very surprising. Not that you act feminine, but I can tell you're not happy with who you are.'

Which surprised the hell out of me. In a later conversation when I asked her how she could tell I wasn't happy, she said 'When no ones looking you kinda shrink back. And sometimes I see you try really hard to like something other people like even though you don't really like it or try hard to fit in. I could tell that you were trying really hard to find yourself and were finding nothing. I never expected that you'd find the reason you didn't fit in was because you were trans. I'm still surprised that you're gonna get a GRS but I'm supportive all the way and it doesn't phase me at all.'

I didn't realize until she said that that she was spot on and I didn't even know I was doing these things.

It still blows my mind that she could tell all that. And, to my benefit, it turns out that she's pretty knowledgeable about the subject. I knew she was interested in psychology and stuff, but it turns out that she finds transsexualism particularly interesting!

So that makes 7 people I'm out to. She really wants me to tell my parents so I can start transition early(I love her!), but I intend on waiting until my birthday to say anything to them for arguements sake. I know that this is what I want, but they won't listen if I say that I've only known for 3 months. By my birthday it'll be 9 months, which is definitely time enough to outgrow a 'phase', so they can't pass it off as that and have no choice but to believe me.

You all better appreciate this, I typed it all in on a Blackberry Curve!

2. StarofMiyu

I've told my parents and I haven't really been able to transition at all...not to put a hamper on you or anything...I don't know~

3. Olive

I know. But if I can at least get therapy over with, that'd make me happy. My parents always say whenever something happens to me and they take me to the hospital(which happens to be a lot) that they just want the best for us. So that makes me think that they'd let me do hormones, especially because its generally cheap.

4. Wylde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's always nice to find out how supportive your friends are! The first friend I told said she'd known pretty much since we'd met just by the way I treated myself and talked - and we've never met in person.

Congrats on coming out to her! And good luck with your parents, you'll never know how they'll react until you tell them. I hope they're as cool with it as your friend was.

5. addie88

most of the people i've come out to so far have been like, "duh. tell me something i don't know." lol
    it makes it so much easier when your friends have already guessed because then you know that they really accept you, because they've been hanging out with you all this time.

6. Olive

Well I'm at the point where I honestly don't feel much anxiety when coming out. I guess I'm lucky though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: