1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally Did It!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by elohim2010, Sep 1, 2011.

1. elohim2010

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    At 27 years old, being in a same sex relationship for almost 6 years (and living with my partner for 2 of those years) and realizing I have been gay since I was 13......I finally came out to my family--dad, mom, and brother.

The decision to do so had been weighing heavy on my heart recently after an "incident" at church (another story for another day). And so after having a heart to heart with a friend who cared enough to tell me like it is, I made the decision to tell them. Now or never. I had been contemplating telling them recently, and finally found my balls to do so. Granted, I told my family over the telephone, but I still told them. (I live in a different city over three hours away.). I was afraid of rejection from them and losing them and them not loving me anymore.

Let me tell you, it took courage and I was scared to death. But everyone was cool with it. My brother said that nothing changed, it was a free country to do whatever, and that he still loved me. My mom said that she still loved me and would hug me if she were there. She also said that she already knew but was afraid to say anything. There was an awkward pause with my dad, so I don't know how much clicked with him. But he knows now and we'll keep working on him. Again, a lot for them all to process in one night. And I'll talk more about my partner and my relationship with him (who they thought was a roommate.....but not anymore!) at a later time. A lot tonight, gotta take some baby steps.

Family were the last folks to know. All my friends have known. I'm "out" but not flaunting on facebook as well as at the church I attend where my partner and I live. Still sorta closeted with church folks back home (again, another story for another day). But again, this was the major coming out event, granted they were not the first to know, but immediate, nuclear family finally knows.

So my words of advice are: you'll be scared and afraid and it takes major courage. But if I can do it, anybody can do it. Best of luck to everyone!

2. LegitRomance

3. Gallatin

Congratulations! That's awesome. I'm glad your family took it pretty well. I hope my family takes it as well haha...

4. Artemicion

Congrats! Glad your family's reaction was pretty positive!

5. Sadepeura

Congratulations! :slight_smile: I'm really happy for you that it went well. And I would love to hear more about the "incident" at church.

6. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! I'm glad that your family is accepting of you.