1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Person in University!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by DareToEatAPeach, Sep 2, 2011.

1. DareToEatAPeach

Okay so today was awesome! I had attended a seminar type thing for international students this morning and all yesterday and I've met some pretty amazing people. But after we got back to the main campus today, I asked around to see if anyone wanted to go out and have something to eat. So it started as a group of 4, but then 2 dropped out because they had to be somewhere. So it was just me and this new guy I had met a few hours earlier. We went to get some food and we were talking about our roommates. And he just happened to mention that his roommate was bi. He started to go on, when out of no where I came out and said, "Oh I'm bi too". Then, to my complete surprise, he just said, "Okay", and went on with his story. It was so amazing!!! It didn't change anything and we kept talking for another hour or so until we walked back to campus. I LOVE UNIVERSITY!

2. Bosco

I'm so glad that you're enjoying university so far and congrats!

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!!

4. Katelynn

Yeah, that's what's so awesome about university. Because most people are there to learn, they also tend to have open minds & accept people for who they are. Still, there are some ignorant people lurking about on campu too, but I'm happy your friend isn't one of them!

5. HantsBen

Great news congratulations :slight_smile:

6. Sadepeura

That's great!

And just like kiersten said:
    Enjoy university! :grin:

#6 Sadepeura, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  7. maverick

I'll say it before, and I'll say it again - EVERY gay kid should go to college. Not because you need the education, but because you need the education.

8. DareToEatAPeach

UPDATE: So I came out to two more new friends that are are on my floor in residence and they both were very accepting of me. And then last night, I went out for dinner and a movie with a group of LGBT students that I had talked to online over the summer. So now I'm out to 10 people so far in university!

9. Gallatin

Awesome! I'm glad things are going well for you!

10. DareToEatAPeach

UPDATE: Today while walking to class with a friend and one of my roommates, my friend brings up a funny story from last night. She was laughing about how she already knew that another person on my floor was gay and so she asked him, "Are you going to be bringing any guys over?" He didn't know that she knew, but he was greatly relieved, but my roommate didn't know he was gay and was really shocked. But he reacted really calmly, so I just threw in there, "Oh by the way, I'm bi". His face was priceless. It wasn't that he was scared or anything, he just had no idea either one of us were LGBT. He then went on to say that he was cool with it. So one down, one to go!

11. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is why I love uni. Because at uni, being gay just makes you that much more awesome. Congrats on your successful coming outs so far!

12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's so cool, man. It's heartening to hear that some people of your generation are so unphased by GLBT peers. Enjoy your college years, safely :thumpsup:

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's awesome!! Keep it up! :slight_smile:

14. DareToEatAPeach

UPDATE: So last night I went to my first meeting with the LGBT group of campus. Everyone was so nice and I thought I was only going to stay for an hour, but ended up doing an additional 3 hours of anti-oppression training. I really didn't want to stay for it, but it was actually really interesting and I learned a lot. Now I plan on volunteering for the club and help run LGBT events on campus.

The only problem I'm currently having is building up the courage to tell my other roommate. The other day I heard him make a joke about how other guys were having a "homosexual orgy" in their room. It was the way he said "homosexual" that makes me tentative to tell him. It sounded like it was full of disdain, I don't know, I might be overthinking it.....