1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Gallatin, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Gallatin

I had already come out to one of my best friends, and she took it really well and didn't really care at all. That was several months ago, and this weekend I finally decided to take the plunge and tell my parents.

I told my mom first. She didn't take it very well (I didn't expect her to), and said some pretty mean stuff, which isn't like her at all. I messed up too, because since she was getting upset at me, I became really defensive and started attacking back. Anyways, we argued about it for over an hour until she said that she felt sick and had to go lay down.

The next morning I came out to my dad. He already had his best friend come out to him a while ago (they're still best friends today and he visits our family all the time). He's also really open-minded and tolerant, so I felt pretty confident with him. To keep it short, he took amazingly well. He wasn't upset with me at all. He just said that my own happiness was really important, and if being with a guy was what made me happiest, then he was fine with that. We both agreed that I wouldn't shut the door on being with a girl (I had a pretty fulfilling relationship with one, but other than that one girl, it's been like kissing my sister ha - and even with that girl, it wasn't all there for me).

Later that day, my mom, dad, and I all talked about it, and I think we managed to calm my mom down a bit, thankfully. So overall things went pretty decently.

To EC, I probably wouldn't have told them if it wasn't for being inspired by the stories and people on here.

To anyone considering coming out to their parents or friends or whatever, I'll tell you now that for me, in my situation, it was the totally right thing to do, and I feel so much better now that I've done it. Admittedly, each person's situation is different (dependency on parents, etc.), but do what you feel is right and most of all, don't be afraid! Most of the time, we imagine people's reactions as far worse than they'll be.

2. Artemicion

Congrats! And I'm glad your dad took it well :slight_smile:. As for your mom, I hope she's doing fine now.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! It takes a lot of courage to come out. I'm glad that your dad was accepting of you. Hopefully your mom will come around.