1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They suspected all along, how can this be?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by jimL, Sep 19, 2011.

1. jimL

I am totally blown away at how many people suspected that I was gay. I look and act pretty straight. I have always gone overboard to not show any signs of femininity or someone might have found out about my little secret. But, as I have gone through this coming out process it just blows my mind at how many people say "I suspected" or "I knew that." I guess I didn't give people enough credit in there ability to see who I truly am. Has anyone else had this kind of experience?

2. Jazzmyn

Not personally, but I think it's a good thing. They must have known you were hiding it but they continued to hold back asking about it, and kept on supporting you. I wish more people were like that.

3. Raeil

Before I started being open, I only had one person who knew it. Of course, that individual knew because I had hinted at it pretty strongly while discussing a completely different subject. Had I not hinted, he probably wouldn't have known.

As of this semester, one person has told me "I had a feeling you were gay," after I told them what the rainbow bracelet I was wearing was for. That's about it. I was very good at being asexual for the majority of my life, so most people just assumed I was straight.

4. addie88

most people guessed it about me. my best friend and her family suspected it, even when i was like nine. even when i told them i was bisexual, they nodded and smiled and then when i left they were like "nah. total lesbian." my stepmom was also wondering by the time i was like six. my entire girl scout troop had all guessed...pretty much the only person who is in shock/denial is my mom, who kind of ignored me when i tried to talk about it last. lol

i personally like when people had suspected as much. it makes me more confident that this is who i am, even though i'm the only person who really knows what's inside. it's still a great affirmation though when you've been hanging out with people all your life, and they figured it out a long time before you did, but they still hung out with you.

5. Remoteboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I recently came out and only my parents and my girl friends suspected/guessed. My guy friends were oddly oblivious. Some still are actually. It's kind of funny since my ex and I work at the same place and some people are still clueless even after seeing us together all the time.

6. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fooled a few into thinking I was straight but my closer friends and family knew before I even brought it up.

7. jimL

That is an interesting thought. I also liked it that so many people seemed to have known/suspected but didn't really know why. Maybe I also subconsciously was being who I really am......it's all water under the bridge now. Wahoo!

8. maverick

^ Me too. It boggled my mind when my parents said they had no idea I was gay. My dad said, "We just thought you were weird."

I was like, "Really? The JNCO jeans, the Doc Martens, the Indigo Girls music, the flannel plaid, the lack of makup, diehard political activism, and the motorcycle didn't give it away?" :lol:

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great job on coming out, man! As my info says, I think people assume I'm gay. I wonder if people would pretend not to know if they think that's what I want them to say. I dunno. Anyway, congrats you did it :thumbsup:

10. bwhopper

bwhopper Guest

the couple people i have told said they knew all along. and i have had people i did not know ask and i did not answer directly. but there is definately something people pick up even when you think no one suspects. with me, people suspect, but i am not out. it is nice to know that comming out dosent surprise everyone

11. Irate

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They probably suspected all along due to your complete lack of mentioning the opposite sex in a lustful manner.

But it's only a good thing if they wait for you to broach the subject instead of prying and enquiring.