1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by beckyg, Dec 1, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This week I talked with a newspaper reporter who wanted to do a story on the new domestic partnership laws in Oregon. She wanted an older couple who have been together for a long time. I gave her some ideas on people to contact but the story didn't happen. The reason is because people are still afraid to go public with their identities for fear of backlash, harrassment, or hate crimes. How sad this is! I felt pretty disappointed that the article didn't happen. I'm posting this in "coming out" because its so important in the movement for equal rights to be open about who you are.

2. nisomer

Thank you Becky and I totally agree with you. The more we come out, the more families and friends will realize that being gay isn't a bad thing. The more we come out, the more people there are to feel personally attacked when people slam gays. The more we come out the more support we will have when we march for equal rights. Every single person makes a difference when they come out.

3. SpikySpice

I agree with you two, those articles will open teh society's eyes and benefit us gay people

But not anybody can come out, please understand that we are not in their situations and we dont really know what happens for them.

I understand hopw you feel Becky but not anybody can be courage enough, but we cant blame them. Maybe those couples are having bad times right now. Maybe you can try again at another time :slight_smile:

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

By way of a contrast, next February will be "Gay Month" in Hereford with various gay themes plays, films and events etc. One of them is a civil partnerships show, and one of the people involved in organising it is our boss at work.

They wanted a gay couple who are planning a civil partnership to lead the press coverage etc. One of the guys at work and his partner (who are planning their civil partnership for early 2009) were asked, and are delighted to be involved! They will probably get some freebies and discounts, but they are not doing it for that. They are doing it because it will promote civil partnerships and gay rights, and should get some good positive press coverage in the local papers and on local TV.

They are a younger couple than the article Becky was talking about though. They are both in their 20s and completely out to everyone.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I do think its easier for younger people who haven't faced harassment like the older couples have. There was a big article in the newspaper today. They found a lesbian couple with a child to do the article which is good!

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Excellent! I'm glad they found a couple eventually. Is the article online anywhere?

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, with a paid subscription. I hate it when newspapers do that!

8. CrimsonThunder

Can you post the article here or would that be bad. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I subscribe to the newspaper not the e-edition. So I can't, unfortunately.

10. Hydrogen

What is the name of the paper?

11. davo-man

Awesome, that's great news about them finding the lesbian couple with the child, im really glad the article went ahead. I can understand people's apprehension at having their names published in an article about their gay relationship, cos it could lead to bad consequences, but I think as time goes on, people will be more and more willing to be so out that they feel comfortable with that

Also, Paul, that's really cool that you have a "gay month" in Hereford. It sounds like a great way to promote acceptance and tolerance etc, so awesome to that too

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The Bend Bulletin