1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in my residence hall

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BradThePug, Sep 20, 2011.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just recently came out to my floor in my residence hall. Most people did not care, some were actually happy to have me on the floor so that they could learn more about bisexuality.

However, there always has to be that one person. That one person this time was my roommate. She decided that she hated me because of me being bisexual. So she moved out. I am very glad that we figured this out now, instead of later. Otherwise I would have been stuck with her.

So I'm now working with my RHA to get a new, accepting roommate.

That's my first bad experience coming out that was unexpected (coming out at my church did not end well, but I expected it)

2. Gallatin

I'm sorry your roommate didn't take it well, but you're right about it being better to happen now rather than be stuck later on.

I'm glad the rest of your floor took it positively!! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

3. Hemera

Well I say always expect someone to have a not so great opinion on it. I'm glad that a great majority of you hall was okay with it, you are obviously at a nice place.

4. Katelynn

Congrats! (!) That is sooo awesome that everyone in your residence is open-minded & accepting! Obviously not your roommate, but since she's in the minority anyway, who cares? That's the wonderful thing about college, people are just so much more willing to just accept people for who they are.

As for your former roommate, did she freak because she doesn't understand about bisexuality, is she uber-religious or was she just maybe afraid that it changed the dynamic of your being roommates? I know some peolple think that if someone they're living with is gay or bisexual & they come out to them, some people just jump to the foolish conclusion that you said something because you like them. Of course the other reason might be she's also questioning herself & is afraid that people might think that since you two live together, they'll think she is too. At any rate, hopefully she at least stays in the same building on the same floor, so at least she'll just be around everyone who does accept you, or at the very least doesn't care, so she can see that it's really not that big a deal. Then she may come to understand that she might have possibly missed out on a great potential friendship with you! If not & she doesn't come around, oh well, who cares what she thinks anyway...

Again, congrats! (*hug*) So proud of you hon! :slight_smile:

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks!!

I'm not 100% sure why she freaked out, I think it might have been a combination of religion and that it changed the dynamic of being roommates. She was really awkward to me before this too (she did not talk for a week to me because I did not shut the window that I did not know she opened and it rained in...) but after this she just came in the next day, told me that she wanted out and was moving out that night. She moved to a completely different building (all the way across campus)

It was just weird because she was ok with it at first but then she got really mad at me and said that the main reason that she was moving out was because I was bisexual.