1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally got the courage to tell my parents!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Flare, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Flare

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It feels really strange to be typing this after such a long process but I'm finally out to everyone in my life. My parents were the last people I had to tell and they were who I was worried about the most. Both of them had made homophobic comments in the past that really upset me and I genuinely couldn't predict how they would react.

I was waiting until I moved out to tell them because I wanted to avoid any awkwardness by living with them after I told them. I wrote out an e-mail to them a while back but I was just waiting to get the courage to send it. I moved out a few months ago so now was the perfect time. I don't know what came over me but last night just felt right. I had been inspired by some videos I had watched on Youtube earlier in the day and I just knew I had to do it eventually. Pressing the send button was one of the hardest things I've ever done but I'm really glad I did.

They replied earlier on this evening and the reaction was even better than I imagined. Here is their e-mail:

Safe to say I'm over the moon. :grin: I'm very thankful for this site and everyone's support and advice here. It really does make a difference and I know reading stories here inspired me so I'm hoping this might do the same for others. Never underestimate your parents, they might just surprise you. :slight_smile:

2. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

That is awesome! Congratulations! (*hug*)

3. Gallatin

Wow, so happy for you! Congratulations!!! :thumbsup:

4. maverick

Mission accomplished! :thumbsup:

5. flymetothemoon

Wow, that's great! I'm so glad for you that they were so accepting!

6. Mercy

Mercy Guest

dont mind me im ecs next emotional girl Im like bawling
    god bless you in ur journey my friend xo

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Words of wisdom! :slight_smile:

Congrats on totally being out and its great to see that you got suchs a great response from your parents! :slight_smile:

9. Flare

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much everyone! :slight_smile:

10. otc877

otc877 Guest

I don't think you could've hoped for a better response than that! I can only imagine the weight that was lifted off of your shoulders when you read their response (and how painful it was waiting for it).

I wonder if you'd be open to share what you had originally sent them.

I'm in a similar situation to you (well to what you were in). I'm planning on telling my parents when I move out, which should be happening sometime around my birthday. I plan on writing a letter to them, but I'm not sure of the tone I want to take. It's probably one of the harder things to write, so I'm just curious how others approach it.