1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiding in the south

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Hidinginalabama, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Hidinginalabama

Im down here in the south hiding who i really am. I cant stand that ever time some one ask me whats going on in my life i have to lie. People keep asking me where my girlfriend is or whats her name. And every time they ask i think to my self i dont have a girlfriend i a boyfriend. But i know if i said that every one would probly start hating me. Almost every one where i live hates gays for no reason. And all i want right now is to be with my man. How do people make it though things like this. Any one go an idea?

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Living in Alabama I'm sure that's very hard considering the South is very religious and conservative, probably the most conservative area in the country. With that being said, maybe it's best you don't come out to people if you think they will end up hating you just based on your sexuality. One idea might be trying to move away from there to a more liberal area and being able to be yourself. I know that's easier said than done, but if I were in your situation it's something to be considered. On another note, there are probably LGBT group meetings you can attend and talk with people in similar situations such as your own. Good luck. :slight_smile:

3. maverick

*waves*

Hey Bama. :grin: Roll Tide or War Eagle, depending on what part of the state you're from.

I am also stuck here. I can't give you advice on coming out, because a) it's much different for gay guys, I know it is, you guys have it so much worse here, and b) I don't know how your family feels about it and stuff. If you're around really homophobic people, I wouldn't suggest coming out here. It's just a little bit more dangerous (emotionally or otherwise) to be openly gay in the deep South. I mean, I know it's about like going around with a scarlet G on your shirt.

BUT...I can say this - I have been all over the country, up and down and left to right, everywhere from Pittsburgh to San Diego, and in comparison to those places Alabama is literally like the fucking third world of the United States unless you live in Huntsville or Birmingham (and even in cities like that, you still have to be situationally aware that you are surrounded by folks who potentially feel violent towards you).

So you might want to consider relocating eventually at some point, 'less you're just that attached to living here. Me personally, I'm going into the Navy to go see the world, now that "don't ask don't tell" has been repealed. :wink:

4. Hidinginalabama

Thanks guys. Ya I'm moving to chicago this summer but for now I'm still in alabama. To let you know its hoover where i live in. There are some people around here that understand but sadly i dont know those people yet. Thank you both for the advice yall are super suportive. :slight_smile: