1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I joined the club!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Sadepeura, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Sadepeura

Well I've just had such a busy and wonderful week that I thought that I maybe should share it with you guys. :slight_smile:

This week was the orientation week in my uni and there were so many things happening! Everyone had advising appointments and we had to register on all the new courses and then all the clubs were organising events trying to get new members to join and the campus was full of people! I didn't have to buy food all week because there was always an event going on where they just offered people food, or someone was giving out free pizza or popcorn at a random corner on campus, and all the Christian groups held barbeques, lunch and tea and cake events.

But the bit that you're going to care about is that I finally joined the LGBT club. And man, they run a lot of events. They are probably one of the most active clubs on campus. And they are all lovely!

I was very nervous to go there but after the first 5 minutes I realised that it was all good. It was great that I didn't have to tell anyone there that I'm gay, they all just knew. No one asked me: "hey what are you doing here, you don't look gay?" or anything like that. One gay guy said: "I just realised that I'm living one of my mate's dream: I'm surrounded by lesbians". I didn't really understand why one of he's mate's dreams about being surrounded by lesbians but the point was that he referred to me as a lesbian without even asking it before. Some of you might think that it's rude or something but I didn't think so because it was all true and he didn't mean it to be rude. No one minded, it was the great thing about it. No one had to explain and we were all more or less gay.

Joining the club made me realise though that I'm now very out. I don't even know how many new people I told this week that I'm going to go there. I now have a membership card and I've joined their facebook group (which is on facebook! That's public right?!). And I realised that I actually don't mind. Still the only people that I really don't want to know are my housemates. But I've realised that they are probably going to find out sooner or later. My only worry is whether it's going to change anything.

2. george678

Well congratulations.
    I found the quote by the guy very funny!
    I'm sure your other friends will be very supportive. Mine were and I came out in countryside Bedfordshire aged 14/15.

Well done! (*hug*)

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! I've just come to realization that you have too. I went from not being put at at all in high school, to being totally out in college. It's a huge change, but one that I needed. I also have the same problem that you having with your housemates, except the group for me is some of my friends from home. I would rather tell them face to face, but I kinda forgot to censor my fb so it pretty obvious now..

I love the LBGT group on my campus too (although sadly we do not get membership cards, that's pretty sweet) It is the first time that I have been with people like me when I'm out. We also do all kind of events too!!

4. Sadepeura

Thanks guys!

George, I really hope you're right and I'm afraid I'll find out whether you are very soon.

thecat06, haha, I'm having similar "issues" with my facebook. I'm afraid it's about to be very obvious to everyone whether I liked it or not. And yeah, the membership cards are cool! :grin: It's like having my very own gay licence. xD