1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Step 2: Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Zontar, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Zontar

Well, I already came out to my family about six months ago. That was largely met with outright denial that continues into today, but what are you gonna do?

So I figured, if I'm gonna try (and miserably fail) to get anywhere with my crush, I should probably come out to my friends first. Being that, you know, he's in our circle of friends to begin with. And is out. And I don't think he, being out to all of us, would appreciate me being closeted assuming the planets line up and he actually does like me back.

Nobody seems to have a problem with him being bi, so they obviously wouldn't refuse to accept me. Mainly, I vowed never to come out to friends before because I was concerned about how information like this would disseminate once it was turned loose. To put it simply, this could have disastrous consequences if it makes its way to my extended family (long story really), or other friends I have who are virulently homophobic.

So really, the point of my thread is this: Should I come out to my friends or just leave him go and wait for the next crush? Once I come out to them, is there any plausible deniability left if it gets to the wrong people?