1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

idk how to take this

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Danny19, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Danny19

so i know i should be happy. but im not. i feel kinda regretful. I told my sister im gay tonight. she doesnt live here. so we were talking online. after beating around the bush for 5 minutes i told her. she told me she was fine with it and she will always be there for me. and she loves me no matter what

^pretty awesome right. but wait theres more

then she proceeded to say that there is medication and psychologist that can help me get rid of this. thats when every drop of joy i had that she was fine with it left. i felt so disappointed in what she told me. she is the only one i can trust to tell things and she tells me this. i felt bad and sad. I didnt want to talk anymore so i just said ok to everything else and goodnight. i feel happy that i told her and she still loves me. but i feel sad that she thinks i have a mental illness

2. Bi As A Kite

It's her problem, not yours. You are you and your stances, ideals and opinions are forever. I guess at some point you'll have to quietly inform her that she is, in fact, spectacularly wrong on this one.

3. maverick

Yeah, I'm sorry it didn't turn out exactly as you'd hoped, Danny, but you have to keep in mind that you are fighting an entire movement of morons that says homosexuality IS a mental illness.

Luckily, there is TONS of evidence to the contrary, and you'll just have to convince your sister otherwise.

American Psychological Association - On Sexual Orientation

Look up the American Psychiatric Association and you'll read pretty much the same thing.

In essence, no rational man (or woman) of science would - in 2011 - believe that homosexuality is a mental illness. I would question the intellectual validity of anyone who did.

4. Sadepeura

Wow, her 2nd response really does suck. But at least you managed to tell her, so congratulations for that.

And I agree with maverick, you just have to convince her otherwise. Good luck. :slight_smile:

5. Danny19

yea she keeps saying she loves me and that she will always be there for me. but she insists that i wasnt born like this and that i had to have something happen to turn like this because when i was little i liked boobs -_-.. aaah this is frustrating.

6. seeksanctuary

Some children also like to eat dog cookies, that doesn't mean they're going to grow up to be a dog. xD The "but you liked boobs"/"but you liked peen" logic is not solid logic.

I'm glad you had the courage to come out to her, but I'm sorry she went the direction she went with it. :[ If it were me, I'd just tell her that if she loved me, she'd educate herself about GLBT people. Meaning, learning that being gay isn't an illness. Or yanno, have her watch For The Bible Tells Me So and Jesus Camp.

I hope things go smoother. D:

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Agh, really sorry to hear your sister thinks that. Its such a hard situation since you can't really be mad, but it just really bothers you.

I will say that the easiest thing to do is to try and convince her by living your life and showing her how nothing else changes. If she is convinced that people aren't born gay, then chances are that it doesn't matter how many sources you give to her, she won't change her mind. Sadly, that's how humans operate.

Show her with examples. If she ever bring it up respectfully tell her that she knows how you feel about it and that you rather her not keep going about the subject.

Sorry that things didn't turned out as expected (*hug*)