1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my therapist!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Brightsky, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everybody, so today i had an appointment with my therapist and when we started he asked me why i came to therapy in the first place and what it was i wanted to talk about. So i just started off by saying; I've felt like this for a long time and i don't really know how to deal with it or how to talk about it, I told him that i've never talked to anyone about this before and i have difficulty even saying this aloud. So then i told him "i think I'm gay", and he was very accepting and we continued to talk about the way i've been feeling and how long i've been keeping this secret for(which has been at least 5 years since i really started questioning myself, I've thought about this since i was 10). When our appointment was over he thanked me for sharing my deep dark secret with him and then he gave me a hug before i left. It was so great to be able to tell someone what i've been feeling and get some much needed advice & support.

Im so happy, i can't describe the feeling of finally being able to talk to someone about this.

And i want to thank everyone here on EC for helping me with what i'm going through and understanding what im dealing with.

Thanks.

2. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Woah ontario Hello fellow canadian :slight_smile: Congrats

3. jimL

Congratulations!!!!!!! Woopie. You took the first step, and it was a huge one. I had a very hard time telling my therapist also. She had to tell me to look at her, I guess I was looking at the floor, to embarrassed to look up. Now it feels good to be able to say that word. I think you will find with time it will become easier. I think it was way cool that he gave you a big hug, it must have felt pretty good. You are on the road to discovering just who you are. Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes.

4. Gallatin

Yay! Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great news! Isn't it amazing how it feels to just "let the genie out of the bottle"? And it sounds like you found a wonderful and supportive therapist, too! Good luck in your continued work!

6. needshelp

that's cool as hell. you did the right thing, man. i remember that 2 years ago, i was this close to telling my therapist my secret. she asked me a question about certain issues that were bothering me and i remember just having my head down looking at the table contemplating if i should just tell her what was really bothering me all that time. i wish i could have told her.

7. missyjustice

missyjustice Guest

That's awesome! Go you! I took forever to tell my therapist because I didn't really start seeing her because of my sexuality but I eventually told her and a huge load was lifted off my shoulders. Now she's my biggest advocate/supporter and it's lovely :slight_smile: Best of luck to you in your coming out journey

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! It always feels good to tell somebody!! Then you have somebody to talk to!!

9. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, needshelp sorry that you weren't able to come out to your therapist, but after doing it myself i felt so good talking to someone about it and knowing that it would stay between the two of us. If you still want to, you should make an appointment with your old therapist or a new one and just go and talk with them, they want to help you but they can't help if you don't put all your cards on the table. Just remember that whatever you tell them they have to keep confidential so you won't have to worry about anyone else finding out(which is what i was worried about my whole life and still am). I was so scared to tell my therapist, my heart started beating like a paint shaker and i couldn't even articulate a full sentence, but i pushed through and told him "I think I'm gay". And let me tell you, just saying that to another person will make you feel so great and it will lift a weight off your shoulders. Trust me i know exactly how you feel, and i know it's scary thinking about talking to someone about your orientation but my god it will help you on your journey. Even if you only come out to your therapist, you'll feel so much better knowing that your not the only person who knows who you are.

I hope this helps you.

Take care needshelp, just know your not alone.(*hug*)