1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ACTUALLY Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Midget, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Midget

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I had posted my "So Close to Coming Out" earlier, and we had a bit of an update on Saturday. I was a bit upset yesterday, though, so that's why I didn't post sooner.

Anyway, Friday after school my dad picked me up since I had theater late that night. I was talking about what went on, then mentioned I was disappointed because the teacher who helps me with our technical work wasn't there since he had a date. Whoops. Mistake numero uno. Dad of course jumps in: "With a guy, I bet." And I accidentally affirmed. Mistake numero dos. Then Dad calls this teacher - who's one of my best friends, making this twice as painful - the "Other F-Word."

The next day, we were heading out to the movies. Dad made a suggestion: "How about 'The Mist.' Stephen King isn't a queer." Then later, during previews: "I bet that was made by a queer." And I could tell he was doing this all out of spite. He really liked that teacher before finding it out and now it seemed as though my teacher was a murderous child molester or something.

After the movie, I blew up and demanded to know what's wrong with gay people. Dad answered, "It's wrong and it's disgusting." So I finally asked what he would say if I said I was gay. He replied, "I'd tell you to get out of the house."

So I started leaving.

Finally he stopped me and said, "No. Just know I think it's disgusting." And that was that.

Needless to say, it's not quite what I wanted. Well, it's better than I expected. I just wish I had waited. Maybe he still thinks I'm joking and I'll get a second try in a few years. Who knows.

2. Tom

Tom Guest

im sorry to hear tht ur dad took it so badly, but well least it was better than u expected. i hope he comes round and sees just how idiotic hes being about it

3. Midget

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh, if only he'd see the light! I know he'll be slow about it and not even realize what I meant until I'm 30 and dragging a girlfriend over for Christmas....

4. Ty

Ty Guest

You should push him off a cliff and then get a "Faggot" to rescue him....i'd like to see his attitude after that.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh man midget. Why do people have to be so hateful and bigoted? I don't get it. I'm so sorry you had to endure this. (*hug*)

6. Midget

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hmm, the like the cliff idea. The only part I don't like: someone saving him. He can just fall for all I care.

Thanks, guys. :slight_smile: Nice to know that there ARE people out there capable of treating everyone humanely.

7. justcallmejoey

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Midget I'm sorry about how that happen.

Maybe next time you go to the movies, make him see a movie with homosexuals in it and smack him everytime he says something about it.

I did that with my friend and it worked!

8. Aww midget I'm sorry. The way he took it was rather harsh. (*hug*)

9. tiptoerainbows

Awwh, that must've been pretty tough. I'm glad he didn't actually kick you out of the house. <3

10. Urman

Urman Guest

sorry to hear that my dad to is a homophoib i will probely never come out to him

11. AlmightyFluffy

Grarrgh! That just made me tense up. Good for you. I would never have the guts to do what ya'll did. I'm sorry about your dad, there is no way I could live with someone like that.

12. Grof142007

Bah I wish people like that could open there head to reason

13. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry to hear that...made more painful by being a dad myself. I could NEVER do that. Wanna swap dads!!?? Joking aside, I hope he sorts himself out. (*hug*)

14. Psychedelic Bookmarks

awww, (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) i feel so sorry for you! but in awe at your bravery too!! hopefully he will accept you one day, and if not, at least when you're older you can live autonomously. :kiss: just remember you're in the right!

15. Midget

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks guys. :slight_smile:

About forcing him to watch movies with gay character... haha, that's always fun. I've got my huge collection of gay movies, none of which he actually realizes are gay. I was watching one that involves a little bit of frontal male nudity and a teensy bit of gay sex, and I remember him just giving me a dirty look and leaving the room. Wanted to slap him, but I just love making him nervous.

16. biisme

haha...that's great

i'm sorry he didn't take it well, but you chould be proud for standing up!

17. ampthejazz

I'm so sorry you have to deal with that.

Hopefully he will be able to see beyond his narrow-minded view of how people should be and accept you for who you are. Until then hang in there. How have your friends reacted?

18. Midget

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My friends have reacted MOSTLY well, but being the picky person I am, I've not been extremely fond of some of their reactions. One friend completely left me and only talk to be to get me to become a "good Christian," so I've given up on her. Another walks away if I mention anything "too gay," but is otherwise fine. (Pfft, not much, is it?) Most of the others treat me... well, better. I'm their "token lesbian friend" and I hate.

I accidentally came out to my best-best-best-best friend last night, and he was amazingly wonderful about it. He was complaining about his boyfriend leaving him the other day, and then complained there aren't enough interesting people here, so I told him about my long-time crush on a friend (who's a lesbian and I'm so happy but she's sadly taken and happy) who is one of the most interesting people I know... and he fell off his chair, told me I'll find a nice girl, and just kept on treating me the same. <3

19. Louise

I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. I don't know him but he sounds like a bit of a bluff and blunder person to me. He said if you told him, he would chuck you out of the house but when you started making moves to leave he back tracked.

Loads of people say things they don't mean, apparently you dad is one of them. He would prefer to have you safe at home with him than alone on the streets alone even though he finds lesbianism 'disgusting' he loves you more... that's got to be good.

We parents can put up with just about anything for the love of our kids. I think what you have to do now is educate your dad. Get him some resourses, books to read and help him to understand that it isn't in anyway disgusting.

He obviously has some preconcieved ideas about homosexuality, help him overcome this. If he loves you as much as he seems to he will eventually come round. Try not to taunt him, even if this does amuse you, your dad just needs help coming to terms with this and to learn about homosexuality.

Having said that it is also his right to find homosexuality disgusting, it's a great pity for him but he has the right to his opinions as long as he doesn't impose them on you, but then you shouldn't impose yours. You just need to educate you dad in the hope that he is openminded enough to accept. The fact that he loves you is already a step in the right direction.

:kiss: