1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found myself a therapist where I live to help me transition! Yay!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Katelynn, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Katelynn

So, today was the day. After waiting since June 29th when I first came out, the day came that the psychologist I wanted to speak with had returned to her office (turns out she had been on maternity leave). So I got up at 8 AM, then sat down & had a glass of OJ, got on my computer, looked up her number and...I proceeded to spend the next hour working up the courage to call. When I finally did, I got her VM again, but this time I left a message - `Hi my name is `(gave my male name)` & I would like to talk with you about psychological services for transgender therapy.' I left my name, # & my email address for me, not the male me, & dsconnected. About not even 15 minutes later, she called back & we talked. I explained that yes, I did want surgery, as well as hormones, basically that I wanted to transition fully. I talked about some of the research & reading I had encountered, talked a bit about how I felt, I told her that I had started coming out to a few friends, a couple of profs at college, the dean, one classmate & my mother, that I had found a PFLAG group here in town & I was going to my first meeting on Friday & some of the goals I had set for myself & how I wanted to transition a little, including my plans regarding diet, exercise, quitting smoking, etc. I also told her that I had moved into a new apartment alone & started living full-time at home. She actually said that it sounded like I had put a lot of thought & time into this decision, and that she did want to work with me. I also asked her some questions that I had found, some of them that she had even said were excellent questions:

How many gender patients do you have? (she said none currently, but that she had worked with quite a few in the past, when she worked in the LGBT community in Chicago)
    How long have you been working with gender patients? (again, answered in the above)
    What is your educational background? (she gave me this info without me even needing to ask; was also listed on her website)
    Do you follow the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care? (she said she was familiar with it, but may need to brush up; I said I could bring a copy)
    What is your hourly rate? (she told me it was $150/session for 60 minute sessions)
    What length of session do you usually prefer? (again, she had told me they were 60 minutes sessions)
    Is it possible to do longer or shorter sessions? (didn't bother to ask; an hour was just fine with me)
    How long do you usually see patients before you might OK them for hormonal therapy? SRS? (she actually seemed pretty encouraging when I asked her this; she said she didn't follow any minimum set amount of time when recommended hormones; she said when she felt comfortable, she'd do it; based on our conversation, it sounded like she was pretty much leaning towards sooner for me, however I told her January at the earliest since I had other goals I wanted to reach first ie voice, exercise, diet, smoking cessation, etc)
    Are you affiliated with any endocrinologists or plastic surgeons? (she said she could help me out with this as well)
    Are you part of my insurance network? (since I'm in college, she said to check & see with one of the counsellors at the counselling office on campus to see if therapy could be covered by the college, since she has worked with students before, as well as that it may just mean a referral to her from the counsellor in order to have the college cover it)
    Would you be willing to classify our sessions as depression in order to meet insurance requirements? (didn't get to ask this one, it slipped my mind)
    What are your hours? (she freely offered up her hours to me, plus they were on her website)
    Do you have weekend or evening appointments? (no weekends, but she does do evening sessions)
    (Anything else you want or need to know) (won't bother going into anything else here, too much to say)

All in all, it was a VERY positive conversation & I got the feeling that she really is willing to help, as well as that there wasn't any of that 'gatekeeper' mentality going on with her. As I said, I think it may be a shorter wait before she may recommend HRT, as I spent a lot of time talking to her about research I had done, things I had learned, etc. I was also super honest with her the whole time as well, including that I was type 2 diabetic, which is why I wanted to wait to speak with her, even tho I had & still do, struggle with wanting to self-medicate, which is why I asked her about HRT, as well as about endocrinologists. I think this will work out VERY well for me & I'm pretty positive about the whole initial experience. Anyway, I have to go back to the college tomorrow morning & find out about possible coverage for therapy, since this girl can most definitely NOT cover $150/session, so wish me luck!

2. katherineM2F

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like everything went really well. Congrats!

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's great!! Good Luck I hope that all goes well for you!!

4. Veronica

Sounds good!
    Good luck with the funding :slight_smile:

5. Sadepeura

Oh, that's great! I'm so happy for you that you found a therapist! :slight_smile:

6. wellhidden

wellhidden Guest

Congratulations, your well on your way. im happy for ya!! :grin:

7. Hidinginalabama

Congratulations so happy for you.

8. maverick

Awesome, thanks for posting such an extensive write-up about it, I have toyed with the idea of therapy and haven't gotten up the guts to call about it yet.

$150 a session though...*whistles*

9. StarofMiyu

Wow paying for therapy o_o. Anyways that's amazing xD.

10. redstormrising

awesome!! hopefully the college will cover it, and that's one less thing you have to worry about!

11. Katelynn

It took me a bit of time to work up the nerve after I came out to call her office the first time (like a week after I first came out), so I was pretty crestfallen when got her VM saying she'd be back in her office on Oct 3rd. So when Oct 3rd came, you better believe I called! I guess when gender dysphoria keeps kicking you down, you find the nerve to do what you have to. It still took me like an hour to call after I woke up tho. I studied psychology for like 5 years, so I know that therapy is definitely helpful when needed! maverick, if you think it's for you, I just know you will find the courage to make that call one day!