1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight off the shoulders!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by WanderingSoul, Oct 5, 2011.

1. WanderingSoul

Well, it's done. After years of pondering, agonizing, questioning, and wandering, I sent my first coming out letter today, about thirty minutes ago! The aftermath is a strange feeling, like a bunch of different emotions mixing into a muddled haze...some exhilaration, some fear, but above all relief. I chose to send a letter because I express myself more clearly in written form, and I chose to write it by hand through snail mail, because that seemed more personal than an e-mail or Facebook message.

I walked to the Post Office because I wanted time by myself to think about what this means for my life going forward. In short, it means not having to hide, not having to be secretive, not having a gnawing anxiety in the back of my mind any longer. It means being able to free my mind and concentrate on other, more worthwhile things. It means being genuine and honest with people. How liberating is that?! :eusa_danc

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. In fact, my hand was shaking as I dropped the envelope in the slot. But after it was done, I felt oddly calm and serene about it on the way home. Now I just have to sit back and wait for my best friend to receive the letter, probably on Friday or Saturday (which makes for a long three days, but oh well).

One last thing. Thank you, fellow Empty Closeters, for being a steady voice of support for this WanderingSoul. :eusa_clap

#1 WanderingSoul, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. Hidinginalabama

Way to go man. That great hope things turn out just like you want.

3. Gallatin

Yay!! Awesome job! I'm crossing my fingers that everything goes well.

4. njec11

Congrats man. Hope it all goes well.

5. george678

Well done! (*hug*)

6. WanderingSoul

Thanks guys. Just to follow up, this friend of mine called back a few days after I sent the letter. Long story short, he responded as well as I could have hoped for! He took the news with kindness and grace, and said that he admired me for having the courage to come out. We ended up talking for over two hours, and he told me I was still his best friend, he would always be on my side, and nothing could ever change that.

I'm not generally an overly emotional person, but I was having a hard time holding myself together. :tears:

7. george678

That is lovely. So warming. He obviously cares about you very much and is very accepting of you. The fact you like guys doesn't change a thing for him. Your lucky to have him as a friend. :slight_smile:

I know what it's like feeling emotional! Well done again! (*hug*)

8. Vesper

Let it all out. It's okay to cry once in a while. I should know--I'm also not emotional and often too proud to cry, but when it happens, it happens. Congrats!

Funny thing is, I was also about to send a typed letter through snail mail to my two best friends to formally come out to them, and I used the excuse that I couldn't find one of their addresses to put off mailing it. I've got no excuse now.

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats man!! I can just about imagine how you felt by the way you described your process and I agree a letter is the best way to get it all out in a logical, complete way. I'm so happy for you that your friend was supportive :thumbsup:

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  11. WSPXRT

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Congrats man. Glad your friend took it so well and I'm sure anyone that truly cares for you as a person will do the same. Goodluck to you too ChouChou. They are your best friends so you have nothing to worry about.

12. Eleanor Rigby

That's wonderful (*hug*) Congratulations for coming out to your friend ! I'm glad he is supportive :slight_smile:
    Many (*hug*) Cécile