1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow! Lots of people are finding out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by b222g, Oct 10, 2011.

1. b222g

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey ladies and gents,
    I am still in the process of coming out although in the past month I've made HUGE steps forward. All three of my siblings know, my parents, and since Saturday night a good chunk of my friends now know as well. I'd say the grand total is over 20 people! There are a few more people I feel I have to tell in person then after that word is out and it's out of my control...although I feel it's already slipping to that point. I got really drunk on Saturday and decided to come out to a bunch of my friends individually throughout the night. Luckily they all took it really well, except one who asked "Are you sure? Maybe you just need to go to therapy"...she's fine know though, Thank God!
    The problem is, I don't really care if everyone finds out anymore, but I really, really don't want the people I work with to find out! At all! I also don't want my family (aunts, uncles, cousins) finding out through the grapevine, if you know what I mean. I feel like I'm at the point now where it's go big or go home! BUT I don't want people at work to know. I hate the job but my contract is over in 9 weeks so I feel like I have to stick it out. I also applied for a travel agent job (which I would LOVE) and got a callback for an interview and it starts in a few weeks so that would be amazing! Start fresh at my job, tell the rest of my family, and life would be pointed in the right direction I think.
    So I guess I just needed to vent. I'd like to hear any advice or stories from coming out at work. It seems everyone that I work directly around is seriously homophobic or at least full of daily homophobic insults. It's hard to work around them and not say a thing. Because they are good people but they always say ignorant and insulting things... How did anyone else make out in a similar situation?

Thanks! And Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving!

2. flymetothemoon

Congrats on coming out to so many people! That's a really big deal. As far as your concerns about work, I would just say that just because you are out or coming out doesn't mean you necessarily have to be out at work. There are a lot of people who just don't talk about their relationships at work and I think that's fine if that is what you choose (especially if you are concerned it could be a problem for your work environment).