1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

probably not the best time

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Rooni321, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Rooni321

So I want peoples idea on my coming out..strategies?? Lol
    I always feel like the lgbt community gets a step closer to changing the world each time one of us comes out of the closet ^_^
    With that being sad....

Would it be better to come out when I'm out of the house, in college, and when I can support myself? (Next year)

Or more currently, on fb?

2. Allecto

Just do whatever feels more comfortable.

3. Hot Pink

If you're waiting for the "perfect" time to come out, you'll be waiting for the rest of your life. Simply put, there really isn't a good time to come out, there's only strategies. The best strategy is to come out to one person at a time. People usually start with the person they're closest to.

4. Ianthe

You live in San Francisco. Surely you have some idea what your parents think of gay people? How likely would they be to disown you? Or punish you in some way?

Sometimes we tell people to wait until they are self-supporting. This is in case their parents might turn them out into the street to starve, or something equally drastic. If nothing like that is a concern, then you can come out whenever you feel prepared to. Deceiving, or even just withholding from, the people you love most is something I would recommend only if it's really necessary for survival. You end up feeling like no one really loves you--how can they, when they don't even know you?

So, really, I don't think you've given us enough information about the situation to be able to give very good advice.