1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out... And getting into college.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by reallyrandomguy, Oct 13, 2011.

1. reallyrandomguy

I'm currently in the thick of writing college application essays, and one of the essays that I had to write had a choice of three questions. I chose the one that asked something along the lines of "Why is the journey to be oneself unique?" and wrote about growing up Christian and discovering my sexuality.

Since I'm currently in the closet to everyone except my parents (For now...),and I had talked with my mom about wanting to come out, I figured this might be a good way to do it. So, I printed off a few copies and planned to deliver them to my friends, with the intention of asking them to proofread it.

I ended up giving only two friends a copy of the essay. One of them was the girl who had asked me to my Junior Prom and had developed a friendship with over the course of the year. The other was a guy friend who had helped me shoot my application video and is a member of my church. I'm pretty sure they'll both be supportive, as the girl helped found the GSA this year, and the guy is pretty liberal and okay with the LGBT(...) community. The one thing that worries me is that the girl has a crush on me, but I'm hopeless when it comes to guessing who's interested in who, and my "gaydar", "bidar", and "straightdar" are all in dire need of repairs.

Here's how it went down:
    I essentially folded up the paper, asked them to read it when they got a chance, and let me know what they think of it. Then, I disappeared into the crowd of people participating in homecoming week activities.

I have yet to hear from either of them, but when I checked my calendar, I noticed that today was the one-year anniversary of me being out to my parents. That just made the experience that much better.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! I hope that it goes well for you!! I think that it was a good idea to write your college essay about that. The internal battle between religion and you sexuality is a major part of you being unique.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Love the idea of coming out like that. The one thing to keep in mind is that sometimes people put off proofreading papers for friends, so keep that in mind if they take too long to say anything.

Hope you get good responses from them :slight_smile:

4. HantsBen

Sounds a great way of coming out, hope your responses are good and keep us informed :slight_smile:

5. reallyrandomguy

Thanks for the good wishes!
    Just an update: I've heard back from H, the girl, and she immediately gave me a hug. At lunch that day, we just talked about regular stuff. She mentioned, and I quote: "Guy on guy does for me what girl on girl does for guys." At that point, I knew she was fine with it. We talked a bit about it at the football game last night, and it was quite fun. We might meet up at the homecoming dance tonight, just as friends. (Of course, everybody will think we're dating. Both of our groups of friends think this. It's awkward, but still sort of funny.)

T, the guy, has not responded. I don't really remember him saying anything to me yesterday, so I'm not sure how to take that. I'm not even sure if he's read it or not, but he normally says "Hi" at the very least. When I mentioned this to my mom, she said that it's not the type of thing guys generally talk about, and girls are more open with gay guys. While that may be a stereotype, at my school, it's that way or the highway. I'll probably see T tomorrow at church, and might ask if he's had a chance to read it then.

I almost gave the letter to another friend (C) during one of our classes yesterday, but he was finishing a test, and I didn't want to wait to give it to him. I saw him at the football game that night with a girl who I presume was C's date.

Then there's the guy (S) who probably knows already. He's dropped a few hints, and seems to keep trying to weasel an answer out of me. When he needed help writing a paper about gay marriage, he asked me for advice. Either S somehow knows what I wrote about for my paper, or he just took a chance that I would know what happened when.

S and C are probably the next two on the list, and then I have one more friend that I want to come out to before I really go to town with coming out.

Anyways, just a little update. Thanks for your kind words!