1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out! And now, the rather strange feeling...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by KDUk3Ang3l, Dec 7, 2007.

1. KDUk3Ang3l

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, long story-short, I came out to a few friends. It's really great to finally take a step out, and I feel a lot more...Well, free. Haha. But it still feels really strange to actually tell people that I am gay. Like...My stomach is in a huge knot. I don't know really; it just feels rather awkward. Anyone feel the same way? :roflmao:

2. urbansamurai

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I felt that way for a long time even when just talking to a friend that I had come out to. It was almost as if the word gay would get stuck in my throat even though I was aware that she already knew. The more comfortable you get with your own sexuality and the less you care about what other people think of you, the more that feeling will go away.

3. InaRut

Yea oh god I was shaking like nuts when I first told my brother. I still don't like saying I'm gay. But hopefully like UrbanSamuri...iit goes away.

4. CrimsonThunder

5. urbansamurai

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of the things that has helped me most with this is spending time with other gay people who actually show a positive image of being gay. I got involved with a group that gives out free dance lessons to LGBT people and I have made some good friends. You'd be surprised how easily you can overcome this issue if you surround yourself with people who won't judge you by what you say.

6. ccdd

ccdd Guest

OMG that's brilliant!! I hope they were really supportive. When I came out (or rather said that I was questioning) to my friend for the first time last week, it was terrible, and I was completely shaking and, like you, my stomach was completely in knots (because it kinda makes it real I think? An admittance to self? Or at least for me). But this second friend which I just did was less scary (but then I think she'll be ok with it). I also think that for less close acquaintainces, I don't want to "come out" as much as just let it "leak out" maybe... Actually, that said, both times I've come out by email (I would not be able to get the words out of my mouth I know, because I have a stutter that occurs when I'm stressed - and I'm betting I'd be stressed!) so maybe it's different if you tell them in person.

7. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

yeah it is a shocking and liberating sensation. I remember when I first came out to someone I was shaking uncontrollably before and after--but man, what a good feeling. being honest with yourself and others for the first time is incredible.

edit: and just to echo what urban samurai already said, being around other out LGBT people really helps in your own process. the first person I came out to was my current boyfriend and he has been out since freshman year. he has been an indispensable resource for me in terms of feeling comfortable with myself and coming to terms with a lot of different things. also, if there is any way to get involved with a gay youth group in your area or anything like that I would highly recommend it

#7 Kovax14, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007
  8. poetofdarkness

i alwas feel like that when i talk to my straight friends. but i have one gay friend and 2 bi friends and when i talk to them it feels... normal i guess. maybe it's just easier to talk to people that understand what it's like to be attracted to someone of the same gender.