1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My letter (critiques?)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Keelin, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Keelin

Dear Mom,

** * *I believe that life, fair judgement, and the pursuit of happiness are most important in this life. I just want you to know you are the best mother anyone could ask for. You've helped me, cared for me, and above all unconditionally loved me. The next paragraph is not your fault, know that now. None of this was will ever be your fault and you can not help it, nor change it.
    *I have been unsure of who i really am now for 3-4 years. I have faced self-denial and depression a few times, however I knew it would be wrong if I told you... I was just to scared. I am afraid the shock of you and our family, on top of, the negitivity of society, Will make me more depressed. I don't want to be outcasted by anyone, and just want to live as myself. I've had a support group since the end of May, and they have really helped me. I am crying as I'm writing this and my heart is beating so fast, but I'm tired of the confusion and lies.
    When I was ten, I was on the verge of hitting puberty, and I dreaded it. I could not help myself. I just despised it. You remember that talk at IC? They showed us all pictures a developing penuses. I got so red in the face, and all the other boys in the room were making jokes and drawing sketches about them. I wasn't. After that day, I knew i was different. I didn't want to face puberty like that, I was playing for the wrong team. I really can't stand this anymore. Mom, I'm a girl. I'm sorry for the pain this is causing you but I need to change. I don't want to be like this. This is the one thing were coming out earlier is better. Please, I need your support... I love you two with all my heart. I've chosen the name Keelin for myself, and I wish to be respected with the proper adverbs from now on.
    I know I will most likely burn in Hell for the rest of Eternity, but I want to be happy while I'm living. I'm so sorry that you have to read this. We can talk when your ready. I've prepared for this talk the past month and I will try to answer your questions. As it is though, I am trapped.

With love for you both,

Keelin

P.S. We really shouldn't tell Adam yet. [my brother]

So what do you think? It took two days, written on my iPod.

2. Pilgrim is hot

wow, you have amazing courage at such a young age it's really fantastic, the letter is great I think you've described your feelings really well :eusa_clap and I really hope everything works out.

One more thing "I know I will most likely burn in Hell for the rest of Eternity" that really upset me I must admit, I can tell you for a fact that if there is a god you will not go to hell for being yourself and do NOT let anyone tell you otherwise. :thumbsup:

3. MommaFrog

I don't think you will "Burn in hell...etc" and I don't think you should be apologetic. You can't help who you are. As a mother, those would hurt me more coming from my child than being told she feels like a boy ((i have a daughter))... I feel like you should be stronger, make it a statement, not a question.... "Mom, I'm not a boy... I'm a girl, and I want you to treat me the way I feel"

4. Keelin

That last part is depression talking. I say stuff like this alot.

5. Hidinginalabama

Its a great letter and I got to say for a person your age wow. It took me years to accept myself. I hope every thing goes great for you and your mom accept you. Just remember eather way in time every thing gets better. Dont for get that. Best of luck again. :thumbsup:

6. Vesper

I really admire your courage and maturity.

Like MommaFrog said, you have nothing to apologize for or be ashamed of. You are also most certainly not going to hell, if there even is one. If it exists, it ought to be reserved for those who use God's word to preach hatred of their fellow humans.

7. Keelin

There was a couple things I forgot to mention.

1) The coming out date I agreed to with Fillip was December 1st.

2) I don't think of it as coming out. IT's more "ohh my freakin' God, I'm trapped in the freakin' wrong body and I want out" type of thing. :slight_smile: is how I describe it.

3) For me, this is like the only exceptional piece of writing I've done, probably because of the emotions

4) thank you for all the comments. :slight_smile:

8. Writerfun

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with everyone. Your letter was very well expressed. BTW I love your signature

9. DhammaGamer

You're incredibly strong for doing this at such a young age. I wish I was as brave and certain as you are at that age. I wish it more than anything. Good luck <3

10. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's definitely written straight from the heart. And I do think it does a good job at summarising your feelings and what you want to make clear.

However, I do think the last paragraph needs to be turned around a bit. I refuse to believe that ayone would burn in hell for being themselves, even if they just happened to be born in the wrong-gendered body.
    And I do feel the final resolution in any coming out letter should be: "yes, we can get through this and emerge better than we ever were!"

So, maybe, does this sound better?

I think it says the same, without needlessly alarming your parents. You want to get them on board, not worry for your life!

Apart from that, I'll keep my fingers crossed for December 1st! (*hug*)

11. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Keelin, this is a superb letter, I can only echo what's been said before, it's mature and from the heart.

I agree with Filip, if you can, use a more positive last paragraph, as it'll help your parents take the news a lot better; remember you've had to work through a multitude of feelings to get to this point over the course of four years, yet your parents will have to go over a similar path in a matter of minutes when they read this letter. Filip's suggestion will make it easier for them.

You should be so proud because I'm proud of you for doing this. (*hug*)

12. Keelin

ugggg......

So tonight at dinner my family was talking about lgbt and my mom and dad said they were "okay with everyone except the tranny's" this shot my self confidence in the heart and i cried a little when i was a lone. so nervous.

13. MommaFrog

Im sure things will work out! Even if at first they dont, parents love is unconditional

14. Noir

I'm sorry that she said that, but I'd like to think that even if she doesn't understand now, eventually she will. Your letter is so unimaginably brave and inspiring to me, you have no idea--don't lose hope, please, lovely! (*hug*)

15. Keelin

I'm so confused though. my head says no, my heart says yes, then it gets caught somewhere in between. I want to. But i'm so scared. and it isn't like I could have anyone there with me that knows in person as I'm coming out to help. My words aren't inspiring, I'm too trapped to do anything else.

16. person54

I know this is hard but did they give any reason why they don't like the transgendered section of the community? If they gave any reasons why it would probably be a good idea to address the reasons in the letter if they aren't already and if you still feel it is worth it to come out. For example some people think it's wrong since the person really just isn't coming to terms with their being gay or lesbian when in reality gender identity is separate from orientation.

I know it hurts to here things like that from people you love but please try to remember that they are still words coming from people that just don't understand your situation well enough yet.

17. Keelin

let's see

they said (and i quote *hmm hmm hm hmmmm*):

"Tranny are freaking wierd and we think they should stay with the gender they were born with."

"They are only like that because they're parent's suck" In the end, that might hurt them a bit, :slight_smile:.

"They'll never be accepted into society" Knew that already -_-

They aren't as bad as they sound, Those were just the worst ones from a 30-minute conversation

18. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    With my coming out just a few weeks ago, I don't feel as I can give you advice. What I can say that I'm amazed by such a young person speak so much wisdom and able to express herself well, kudos to you.

I can speak to the spiritual side of it as I am dealing with much the same thing about eternity... you should know that you have to come to peace with yourself, then come to peace with your God... bottom line others dont have the power to udge you, nor do I... so don't give up your hopes of heaven... there is hope... of course my opinion alone... don't want the message of encourage get lost in the details.

19. Keelin

well, this is going to sound like a really dirty trick.

But my parents fall into pity really easy.

So I might keep the line about hell there.

I still think I'm going there, though.

20. person54

1. and 2. No one chooses gender identity, it is biologically based and possibly even determined before age five or while in the womb.

3. Whether or not society accepts something is irrelevant to whether or not it is right or wrong or whatever they meant by that last comment. Societies all over the world have had no problem accepting terrible things at certain times. (genocides, race discremenation etc...)

I know those kinds of arguments probably aren't that comforting at the moment but they are true and I think it was great that you got on here to talk about it rather than keep it to yourself.

It may be a good idea to wait a night or two if you feel extremley distraught right now but you are the expert on how you feel and if you are ready to come out so don't let me influence you.