1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you regret caming out of the closet?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by KatKut, Nov 1, 2011.

1. KatKut

I wonder If there are people who regret it

2. Blkrsn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all! I felt so free after coming out, and my family are wonderful about it! Except now I hear a lot more gay jokes and when I am over watching TV, my Dad will suddenly say, 'I'm sorry, but that girl is not attractive, right *my name*?' or 'Who do you think is hotter? So-in-so or so-in-so.'

I hope you don't regret it :'(

3. Dasc Crescent

I have pretty good reason to, a bit of history of my life, I moved from a small village to south Africa's epicenter, I went from an internationally acclaimed private school that cost twice as much as my sister university does, to a government school, I went from knowing everyone to knowing two people in the city. okay, then i made friends, popular ones, I became popular myself, its effing easy, and ya, then I told my best friend I was gay... and I went back to having no friends, and so it stayed for a year because this time I couldn't make new friends, but you know what, I don't regret it at all, i learned a lot about people, myself and the way people function as a group. i regret absolutely nothing in my life, i believe in the idea that everything is perfect as a whole, they may be effed up as an individual, but in the bigger theme, it is the way it must be. i ain't saying it must stay like that, turn a sinner into a saint for sure! im just saying don't get worked up on what happened. and if you think my ideology sucks, well i have been happy for a year and a half now with the longest sad state being around an hour. but i thank God for that.
    as usual i strayed off topic a few times there. but whatever :3

4. NeecoVirus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nope, I do not, that being said, my parents don't know. I'm pretty out considering most of my friends know. Its so much easier since it doesn't feel like you are hiding something all the time.

5. Gallatin

Nope, not really. Being true to yourself is a really liberating feeling.

6. Hidinginalabama

No it has been one of the best things that I have ever done and would never change it. My life is so much better being open about who I truly am.

7. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I don't feel regretting it. It's like a thorn pulled from my throat, a relief.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, I'm only partially out right now, but to the people I'm out to I do not regret it. It is such a great feeling to be able to be myself and not have to hide (at least at university).

9. Miranda

As I've just started coming out, I feel very well for now :slight_smile: And I never think I'll really regret - even though I will also get many bad responses from acquaintances, probably.

10. Rinamir Mortem

Not one bit. Letting yourself truly be who you are is the most liberating feeling in the world.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've run into people who have regretted the circumstances of their coming-out - maybe they got outed by somebody, or maybe somebody they told reacted in a way that they weren't happy with. But it seems everybody eventually sees it as a positive. I honestly don't know anybody, ten years down the line (say), who said "I wish I'd stayed in the closet."

Lex

12. Fiddledeedee

At the moment I am unsure if coming out to my mother at the end of September was a good thing; I wonder if I should have waited. However, I will probably not regret it in the future, and I am very glad I told my school!

13. Drowzee64

No, not at all. Ever since I stopped hiding my sexuality I stopped hiding other aspects of my personality too.

There is only one instance where I regret coming out, and it's a weird story:

It's middle school, and I'm still confused about my sexuality. I think I might be bisexual or asexual. Guess what? The entire school thinks I'm gay and people keep asking me if I am. This is only additional pressure on top of me figuring out my sexuality and one day I just snap and tell them I'm bisexual just to shut them up. I even made up a whole bunch of BS when they asked me questions about it. In reality, I didn't know who I was yet. I regretted it because by being forced out as a supposed bisexual, I wasn't being true to my gay self, although I didn't know that at the time. Eventually I left that school district and all the bullshit that came with it.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People may regret the timing of their actions. Or the circumstances. And in a few cases, such as having ultra-bigoted parents who send their kids to "straight camp" or cut off their funding for college, people have realized in hindsight that waiting to come out might have been better.

But, like Lex, I don't know a single person that, a couple years down the road, isn't MUCH happier that s/he came out and is living authentically.

15. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't regret coming out at all. I wouldn't want to hide who I truly am from everyone, including myself.

16. ukeye

ukeye Guest

17. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No I haven't regretted coming out. I've regretted the way some people found out because I was outed in high school. But in the end I don't regret being out to those who know.

Coming out has given me some really great friends.

18. Ianthe

There is sometimes a very difficult period right after coming out. But like Chip and Lex, I have never talked to anyone who, once their life had settled a bit, wished they were back in the closet. Not one. And that includes people who really lost a lot, like their jobs and their whole families, and people who've had to deal with violence.

19. Vesper

Absolutely not. I have felt for the longest time that I did not understand myself, but the process of coming out of the closet has helped me do so in a huge way.