1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook post- cousin asked if I am that word!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by likesguys, Nov 8, 2011.

1. likesguys

likesguys Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Guys,

I'm kinda new here. I really like all the stuff that I read and I guess now it's time to do a little talking. I have told a few friends that I am gay. I think I figured it out when I was about 11 but kept it to myself until recently. It just scarred the heck out of me thinking of telling anyone. No problems yet, they don't care....well they do but it hasn't affected our friendships. They have been like no problem, just don't hit on me! Hehe! Darn there is one guy friend that I'm really attracted to but he's not gay. But he is still my friend.

So last night I posted a link to the HRC campaign on my Facebook . About an hour latter I got a message from my cousin and she said she had noticed several posts of mine in support of gay/lesbian stuff. She said that she was just curious and wanted to just ask me if I was gay. When I read those words my heart started racing, I got scarred. I thought about it for a bout a half and hour and messaged her back and said that she was the only one that had ever asked me that question, and I said that yes I was gay. I told her that I would like to talk to her more about this and gave her my email so we didn't have to use Facebook. I haven't heard back from her yet. I hope she will be ok with me being gay. I hope she doesn't start telling the whole family. I just really nervous about this. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

2. Lotty

First, congratulations!!! You were really brave telling her that.
    I hope everything'll work out, and I really hope she'll be okay with it.
    But well done!!!
    (*hug*)

3. Dykezz

Congratulations on coming out to your cousin. (*hug*)
    That's great news!!

4. Ianthe

That's awesome! It's really hard when someone puts you on the spot like that. It's great that you were able to tell the truth, and very brave of you.

I think your cousin is likely not to tell your whole family, especially if you ask her not to. You might want to send her a message soon telling her that you aren't ready for everyone to know yet, so that she doesn't tell people without realizing that you don't want her to.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! It's always hard to tell the truth when your put on the spot like that..

6. Vesper

I applaud your courage in coming out to your cousin after she asked. Best of luck for a positive reaction from her. Like Ianthe said, promptly let her know that you don't want her to tell the rest of the family because you are not yet ready for them to know.

7. likesguys

likesguys Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So i had not heard back from my cousin since i told her i was gay so i messaged her yesterday and said that i hoped that she didn't have a problem with it. She messaged me back on Facebook late last night and said that she had been really busy and has absolutely no problem with it and that she would like to talk to me about it. I can't tell u how happy that made me. Had tears in my eyes when I read it this morning. Yea!

8. RaeofLite

If you had issues with her not telling the family, you should message her and tell her that you'd really appreciate her keeping the news to herself for now because you're not ready to come out to the entire family yet.

9. Doctor Faustus

Congratulations! You should be really proud of yourself that you were honest when it counted. :slight_smile: Hopefully she won't run around telling everyone and the neighbours next door (if she knows how to trust you with your confidence).

I wish you all the best and that you go from strength to strength.

10. Silver Sparrow

Congratulations! From your cousins reaction, it sounds like she will be able to keep your secret. If you ask her, I think it will be fine. I hope all goes well!